Zable Stadium

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Revision as of 16:07, 3 December 2009 by Kgardy (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Zable Stadium is the College of William and Mary's main football venue. It is located between the University Center and the Alumni House. The north end of the stadium faces Richmond Road. Closely related athletic facilities include the Jimmye Laycock Football Center and Cary Field.

Zable Stadium

Constructed: 1935

Named for: Walter J. Zable

Renovated: 1979, 2005

Map it for me

In 1935, the College petitioned the Public Works Administration for funding to construct a number of buildings on campus. Tax-payer dollars, however, could not be used for the construction of athletic facilities. Rumors persist to this day that in order to secure funding, the College masqueraded the construction of the football stadium as an "agricultural exposition" or "amphiteater." Individuals who adhere to this interpretation note the missing section of seats along the fifty-yard lines, which they claim was designed to allow cattle to enter the grounds. The stadium was constructed at a cost of $170,000 (30% of which was supported by the PWA). The structure was designed by J. Bindford Walford and adhered to the neo-Georgian architecture prominent throughout the campus. The stadium is in the shape of a horseshoe with an arcade facing Richmond Road.

In 1979, the stadium underwent a $1 million renovation which raised seating capacity to 15,000, disposed of the original wooden bleachers, repaired masonry, crowned the field, and improved locker and equipment rooms. In 1990, the stadium finally received a formal name - Walter J. Zable Stadium - in honor of a $10 million donation made by Walter J. and Betty C. Zable, the former a track and football star during his time at William and Mary. In 1996, the north gate facing Richmond Road was named the John Harvard Randolph '64 Alumni Gate.

In 2000, Walter Zable committed another $6.8 million to the construction of a new football center and improvements to the stadium. Permanent lights were added in 2005 and artificial turf - "Field Turf" - was laid in 2006.


  • Colonial Echo
  • University Archives Photograph Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary. including P1998.177 and many others.
  • Buildings and Grounds--Zable Stadium, University Archives Subject File Collection
  • William and Mary News, 4/24/96, p. 3; 10/16/96, p. 5


  • University Archives Buildings File (2007), Zable Stadium, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.

Need help?

To search for further material, see Finding Materials in the SCRC for an introduction to the SCRC Collections Database, card catalogs, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, etc.

Questions? Contact the SCRC at or 221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary (hours).

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's access tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.