Difference between revisions of "Zable Stadium"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m
m (Text replacement - "[[Category:College of William and Mary" to "[[Category:William & Mary")
 
(19 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
'''Zable Stadium''' is the [[College of William and Mary]]'s main football venue. It is located between the [[University Center]] and the [[Alumni House]]. The north end of the stadium faces Richmond Road. Closely related athletic facilities include the [[Jimmye Laycock Football Center]] and [[Cary Field]].
+
'''Zable Stadium''' is the [[College of William and Mary]]'s main football and track and field venue. Before its dedication as Zable Stadium in 1990, it was known as [[Cary Field]] or Cary Field Stadium or William & Mary Stadium (unofficially). It is located between the [[Sadler Center]] and the [[Alumni House]]. The [[Jimmye Laycock Football Center]] is next to the stadium.  The formal address is 100 Stadium Drive. The north end of the stadium faces Richmond Road.  
  
 
__TOC__
 
__TOC__
In 1935, the College petitioned the Public Works Administration for funding to construct a number of buildings on campus. Tax-payer dollars, however, could not be used for the construction of athletic facilities. Rumors persist to this day that in order to secure funding, the College masqueraded the construction of the football stadium as an "agricultural exposition" or "amphiteater." Individuals who adhere to this interpretation note the missing section of seats along the fifty-yard lines, which they claim was designed to allow cattle to enter the grounds. The stadium was constructed at a cost of $170,000 (30% of which was supported by the PWA). The structure was designed by J. Bindford Walford and adhered to the neo-Georgian architecture prominent throughout the campus. The stadium is in the shape of a horseshoe with an arcade facing Richmond Road.  
+
==Cary Field Era==
 +
[[Image:Cary_Field.jpg|thumb|right|Cary Field<p>Constructed: 1907-1909, 1935 (stadium)</p><p>Named for: T. Archibald Cary</p><p>Renovated: 1921, 1927, 1979-1980</p><p>[http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=100+Stadium+Drive,+Williamsburg,+VA&sll=37.272516,-76.718924&sspn=0.011833,0.01929&gl=us&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=100+Stadium+Dr,+Williamsburg,+Virginia+23185&ll=37.273882,-76.713367&spn=0.011833,0.01929&z=16 Map it for me]</p>]]
 +
Cary Field, now the location of [[Zable Stadium]], is so named to honor T. Archibald Cary of Richmond and his father, John B. Cary.  Father and son were members of the [[Board of Visitors]]. T. Archibald Cary donated $1,000 to the [[College of William and Mary]] for athletics via a letter dated January 4, 1907.(Folder" Buildings and Grounds, 1907-1911, Office of the President, Lyon G. Tyler Records) In another letter to the president dated October 19, 1907, Cary noted the grounds were still not ready despite his gift. The new, enclosed field was completed in time for baseball season in 1909. In 1909, Cary had donated a total of $2665.00 to the effort. About $170 was appropriated to paint and stain the grandstand and fence of the newly named Athletic Field that same year.
  
In 1979, the stadium underwent a $1 million renovation which raised seating capacity to 15,000, disposed of the original wooden bleachers, repaired masonry, crowned the field, and improved locker and equipment rooms. In 1990, the stadium finally received a formal name - Walter J. Zable Stadium - in honor of a $10 million donation made by Walter J. and Betty C. Zable, the former a track and football star during his time at William and Mary. In 1996, the north gate facing Richmond Road was named the John Harvard Randolph '64 Alumni Gate.  
+
===Board of Visitors Excerpts===
 +
'''February 9, 1909'''<br>
 +
"The following was adopted,
 +
      That the thanks of the Board be extended to Mr. T.A. Cary of Richmond, a former member of this body, for his generous gift of $2665.00 to the College in the interest of athletics
 +
    That the athletic field be named the Cary Athletic Field in honor of the Donor and his distinguished Father John B. Cary, an esteemed alumnus of the College and former member of the Board."
  
In 2000, Walter Zable committed another $6.8 million to the construction of a new football center and improvements to the stadium. Permanent lights were added in 2005 and artificial turf - "Field Turf" - was laid in 2006.
+
===1910s-1920s===
 +
Repairs to the grandstand at Cary Field in 1910 cost about $100. A cinder track for the field was constructed in 1921, and a gift of a new scoreboard on the left field from Prof. and Mrs. Frederick Juchhoff replaced an earlier makeshift scoreboard on the centerfield fence. Bright Farm was purchased by the College in October 1923 and served as a new athletic field adjoining Cary Field, with a 1/4 mile cinder track with 220 yard straightaway, two football gridirons, and two baseball diamonds.
  
==Photographs==
+
In 1927, electric lights were used on the field, and grandstands changed from one line of stands along the west side of the field to a horseshoe arrangement taking in the north, west, and east sides.  Some sections were as high as 14 rows, and seated approximately 5000 people.
*''[[Colonial Echo]]''
+
 
 +
Plans were made in 1928 for a freshman athletic field to be located on west side of Cary Field.  The old grandstand on the baseball field was torn down as it was condemned as unsafe.  Instead, the bleacher stands from the football field were to be used.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
===Stadium Construction===
 +
In 1935 J. Binford Walford, the College Architect, drew plans for a new stadium.  The plans were for a concrete stadium faced with brick that would be dedicated in September that same year.  There would be space for a ladies' lounge, locker rooms, showers, field room, storage, wash rooms, and a heating plant below the seats of the east section.  There would also be space under the west section just for storage. While William & Mary petitioned the Public Works Administration for funding to construct a number of buildings on campus, tax-payer dollars could not be used for the construction of athletic facilities. Rumors still persist to this day that in order to secure funding, William & Mary masqueraded the construction of the football stadium as an agricultural exposition or amphitheater.
 +
 
 +
===Fire===
 +
A [[fire]] in 1948 on the left side of the stadium burned for two hours and cracked the concrete under the stand.  However, the damage to the stadium was not too serious. 
 +
 
 +
===Stadium Expansion Controversy===
 +
In the 1970s there were demands from some football supporters and members of the Board of Visitors to expand the stadium further to seat 30,000 and secure a place for the university as a “big-time” athletic program. Williamsburg residents, students, faculty, staff, and alumni worked against the expansion including forming an opposition group, the [[Amos Alonzo Stagg Society]]. The outcry included boycotts of classes, rallies, the protest song “Ode to Cary Field” was written by a student, a Save the Charter Day event, a lawsuit, and other actions. Polls revealed 87% of students and 92% of faculty opposed further expansion of the stadium, but the Board continued to push for stadium expansion. The need for a larger stadium became a moot point after 3 years of discord when in December 1981 the NCAA lowered William & Mary from Division I-A to I-AA in football.
 +
 
 +
In 1979, the stadium underwent a $1 million renovation which raised seating capacity to 15,000, disposed of the original wooden bleachers, repaired masonry, crowned the field, and improved locker and equipment rooms.
 +
 
 +
==Zable Stadium Era==
 +
[[Image:ZableStadium.jpg |thumb|right|Zable Stadium<p>Constructed: 1935</p><p>Named for: Walter J. Zable</p>[http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=100+Stadium+Drive,+Williamsburg,+VA&sll=37.272516,-76.718924&sspn=0.012328,0.01929&gl=us&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=100+Stadium+Dr,+Williamsburg,+Virginia+23185&ll=37.273882,-76.713367&spn=0.012328,0.01929&z=16 Map it for me]]]
 +
 
 +
In 1990, the stadium finally received a formal name - Walter J. Zable Stadium - in honor of a $10 million pledge to William & Mary's Campaign for the Fourth Century by Walter J., Class of 1937, president and chief executive officer of the Cubic Corporation, and his wife Betty C. Zable, Class of 1940. Walter Zable was a track and [[football]] star during his time at William and Mary. The stadium at Cary Field was named the Walter J. Zable Stadium by the [[Board of Visitors]] in his honor. The BOV approved the naming at their November 2, 1990 meeting. Of the total commitment, $5 million was designated to endow scholarships for William & Mary student athletes, $2.5 million would be used to endow graduate student aid, and the remaining $2.5 million to meet the needs of various university programs in the future.(''William & Mary News'', 7 November 2000, p. 1)
 +
 +
In 1996, the north gate facing Richmond Road was named the John Harvard Randolph '64 Alumni Gate.
 +
 
 +
In 2000, Walter & Betty Zable made a $6.8 million gift to refurbish the football stadium. (''William & Mary News'', 21 September 2000, p. 1)
 +
 
 +
Permanent lights were added in 2005 and artificial turf - "Field Turf" - was laid in 2006.
 +
 
 +
In 2013, "estate of the late Walter J. Zable ’37, LL.D. ’78 has provided a $23.9 million gift to William & Mary, $20 million of which will be split between scholarships for student athletes and renovations to the stadium that carries his name. The gift ranks among the largest single gifts in W&M’s 320-year history." [http://www.wm.edu/news/stories/2013/william--mary-receives-23.9-million-from-walter-j.-zable-estate123.php]
 +
 
 +
==Material in the Special Collections Research Center==
 +
*[http://guides.swem.wm.edu/wm Guide for conducting research related to the College of William & Mary]
 +
*[http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/ SCRC Collections Database]: search by names, organization, subject, event, etc.
 +
*Search the [https://digitalarchive.wm.edu/ W&M Digital Archive] for additional material.
 +
*''[[Colonial Echo]]'': Photographs include 1913 p. 150, 1916 p. 152, and many others.
 +
*''[[Flat Hat]]''
 
*[http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=6513 University Archives Photograph Collection], Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary. including P1998.177 and many others.
 
*[http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=6513 University Archives Photograph Collection], Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary. including P1998.177 and many others.
*Buildings and Grounds--Zable Stadium, University Archives Subject File Collection
+
*University Archives Subject File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
*William and Mary News, 4/24/96, p. 3; 10/16/96, p. 5
+
*[http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=7065 Athletics Department Records], Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
 +
*[http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=7028 Amos Alonzo Stagg Society Records], Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
 +
*[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-JHvbGmDnY&list=PL2B53BB68626E7470&index=3&feature=plpp_video Dedication of Walter J. Zable Stadium], 1990, from a video in the University Archives Audiovisual Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
 +
*''William and Mary News'', 4/24/96, p. 3; 10/16/96, p. 5.
 +
*[http://scdb.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=core%2Fsearch&q=cary+field&content=1 Search for Cary Field] in the SCRC Collections Database.
  
 
==References==
 
==References==
*University Archives Buildings File (2007),  ''Zable Stadium'', Special Collections Research Center,  Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
 
  
==Need help?== 
+
*[http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=6650 Office of the President, Lyon G. Tyler Records], Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
To search for further material, see [http://swem.wm.edu/scrc/Tools.cfm Finding Materials in the SCRC] for an introduction to the [http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/ SCRC Collections Database], card catalogs, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, etc.
+
 
 +
*''William & Mary News'': 7 November 1990; 21 September 2000.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
 
 +
 
 +
{{helpmsg}}
 +
{{infodisclaimer}}
  
Questions? Contact the SCRC at [mailto:spcoll@wm.edu spcoll@wm.edu] or 221-3090, or visit the [http://swem.wm.edu/scrc/ Special Collections Research Center] in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary ([http://www.swem.wm.edu/scrc hours]).
 
  
{| border="1" class="wikitable" style="margin: 1em auto 1em auto"
 
|-
 
! style="background:#228844" |A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
 
|-
 
| |Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's [http://swem.wm.edu/scrc/Tools.cfm access tools] for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.
 
|}
 
  
 
[[Category:College Stub]]
 
[[Category:College Stub]]
[[Category:College of William and Mary Landmarks]][[Category:College of William and Mary Buildings]][[Category:College of William and Mary Athletics]]
+
[[Category:William & Mary Landmarks]][[Category:William & Mary Buildings]][[Category:William & Mary Athletics]]

Latest revision as of 16:03, 9 September 2019

Zable Stadium is the College of William and Mary's main football and track and field venue. Before its dedication as Zable Stadium in 1990, it was known as Cary Field or Cary Field Stadium or William & Mary Stadium (unofficially). It is located between the Sadler Center and the Alumni House. The Jimmye Laycock Football Center is next to the stadium. The formal address is 100 Stadium Drive. The north end of the stadium faces Richmond Road.

Cary Field Era

Cary Field

Constructed: 1907-1909, 1935 (stadium)

Named for: T. Archibald Cary

Renovated: 1921, 1927, 1979-1980

Map it for me

Cary Field, now the location of Zable Stadium, is so named to honor T. Archibald Cary of Richmond and his father, John B. Cary. Father and son were members of the Board of Visitors. T. Archibald Cary donated $1,000 to the College of William and Mary for athletics via a letter dated January 4, 1907.(Folder" Buildings and Grounds, 1907-1911, Office of the President, Lyon G. Tyler Records) In another letter to the president dated October 19, 1907, Cary noted the grounds were still not ready despite his gift. The new, enclosed field was completed in time for baseball season in 1909. In 1909, Cary had donated a total of $2665.00 to the effort. About $170 was appropriated to paint and stain the grandstand and fence of the newly named Athletic Field that same year.

Board of Visitors Excerpts

February 9, 1909
"The following was adopted, That the thanks of the Board be extended to Mr. T.A. Cary of Richmond, a former member of this body, for his generous gift of $2665.00 to the College in the interest of athletics That the athletic field be named the Cary Athletic Field in honor of the Donor and his distinguished Father John B. Cary, an esteemed alumnus of the College and former member of the Board."

1910s-1920s

Repairs to the grandstand at Cary Field in 1910 cost about $100. A cinder track for the field was constructed in 1921, and a gift of a new scoreboard on the left field from Prof. and Mrs. Frederick Juchhoff replaced an earlier makeshift scoreboard on the centerfield fence. Bright Farm was purchased by the College in October 1923 and served as a new athletic field adjoining Cary Field, with a 1/4 mile cinder track with 220 yard straightaway, two football gridirons, and two baseball diamonds.

In 1927, electric lights were used on the field, and grandstands changed from one line of stands along the west side of the field to a horseshoe arrangement taking in the north, west, and east sides. Some sections were as high as 14 rows, and seated approximately 5000 people.

Plans were made in 1928 for a freshman athletic field to be located on west side of Cary Field. The old grandstand on the baseball field was torn down as it was condemned as unsafe. Instead, the bleacher stands from the football field were to be used.


Stadium Construction

In 1935 J. Binford Walford, the College Architect, drew plans for a new stadium. The plans were for a concrete stadium faced with brick that would be dedicated in September that same year. There would be space for a ladies' lounge, locker rooms, showers, field room, storage, wash rooms, and a heating plant below the seats of the east section. There would also be space under the west section just for storage. While William & Mary petitioned the Public Works Administration for funding to construct a number of buildings on campus, tax-payer dollars could not be used for the construction of athletic facilities. Rumors still persist to this day that in order to secure funding, William & Mary masqueraded the construction of the football stadium as an agricultural exposition or amphitheater.

Fire

A fire in 1948 on the left side of the stadium burned for two hours and cracked the concrete under the stand. However, the damage to the stadium was not too serious.

Stadium Expansion Controversy

In the 1970s there were demands from some football supporters and members of the Board of Visitors to expand the stadium further to seat 30,000 and secure a place for the university as a “big-time” athletic program. Williamsburg residents, students, faculty, staff, and alumni worked against the expansion including forming an opposition group, the Amos Alonzo Stagg Society. The outcry included boycotts of classes, rallies, the protest song “Ode to Cary Field” was written by a student, a Save the Charter Day event, a lawsuit, and other actions. Polls revealed 87% of students and 92% of faculty opposed further expansion of the stadium, but the Board continued to push for stadium expansion. The need for a larger stadium became a moot point after 3 years of discord when in December 1981 the NCAA lowered William & Mary from Division I-A to I-AA in football.

In 1979, the stadium underwent a $1 million renovation which raised seating capacity to 15,000, disposed of the original wooden bleachers, repaired masonry, crowned the field, and improved locker and equipment rooms.

Zable Stadium Era

Zable Stadium

Constructed: 1935

Named for: Walter J. Zable

Map it for me

In 1990, the stadium finally received a formal name - Walter J. Zable Stadium - in honor of a $10 million pledge to William & Mary's Campaign for the Fourth Century by Walter J., Class of 1937, president and chief executive officer of the Cubic Corporation, and his wife Betty C. Zable, Class of 1940. Walter Zable was a track and football star during his time at William and Mary. The stadium at Cary Field was named the Walter J. Zable Stadium by the Board of Visitors in his honor. The BOV approved the naming at their November 2, 1990 meeting. Of the total commitment, $5 million was designated to endow scholarships for William & Mary student athletes, $2.5 million would be used to endow graduate student aid, and the remaining $2.5 million to meet the needs of various university programs in the future.(William & Mary News, 7 November 2000, p. 1)

In 1996, the north gate facing Richmond Road was named the John Harvard Randolph '64 Alumni Gate.

In 2000, Walter & Betty Zable made a $6.8 million gift to refurbish the football stadium. (William & Mary News, 21 September 2000, p. 1)

Permanent lights were added in 2005 and artificial turf - "Field Turf" - was laid in 2006.

In 2013, "estate of the late Walter J. Zable ’37, LL.D. ’78 has provided a $23.9 million gift to William & Mary, $20 million of which will be split between scholarships for student athletes and renovations to the stadium that carries his name. The gift ranks among the largest single gifts in W&M’s 320-year history." [1]

Material in the Special Collections Research Center

References

  • William & Mary News: 7 November 1990; 21 September 2000.




Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.