Difference between revisions of "William and Mary Historical Highlights"

From Special Collections Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Other Important Dates)
(April)
 
Line 55: Line 55:
 
*1963: Wig Coffee Club opens in the [[Campus Center]].
 
*1963: Wig Coffee Club opens in the [[Campus Center]].
 
*April 1: look for the Fat Head traditional April Fools version of the [[Flat Hat]].
 
*April 1: look for the Fat Head traditional April Fools version of the [[Flat Hat]].
*April 2, 1752: The first of the [[Honorary degree recipients]] of the college  was Benjamin Franklin who was given a Master of Arts.
+
*April 2, 1756: The first of the [[Honorary degree recipients]] of the college  was Benjamin Franklin who was given a Master of Arts.
 
*April 3, 1995: The College dedicated the $3-million, 6,400-square-foot [[McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center]].
 
*April 3, 1995: The College dedicated the $3-million, 6,400-square-foot [[McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center]].
 
*April 6, 2010: [[Griffin]] is announced as [[Mascot]].
 
*April 6, 2010: [[Griffin]] is announced as [[Mascot]].

Latest revision as of 10:46, 20 March 2015

This is a working chronological list of William and Mary Historical Highlights prepared for use by staff of the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center. There is of course much more to the history of the College of William and Mary than the dates and vignettes listed here. Feel free to browse this wiki to find more of these stories and consult any of the several books to use for College history research.

January

February

March

April

May

  • 1691: Reverend James Blair is given instructions to found a college in Virginia.
  • 1861: President Benjamin S. Ewell, the professors, and many students enter the Confederate Army during the Civil War.
  • 1966: Parent's Day was begun.
  • 1976: The college launches its largest fund raising effort yet the Campaign for the College.
  • 1981: Earl Gregg Swem Library received its one-millionth volume.
  • May 3, 2005: Fire in Preston Hall.
  • May 4, 1989: Van Buren band-orchestra room named.
  • May 5, 1862: Civil War Battle of Williamsburg.
  • May 8, 1784: Title of public lands surrounding Williamsburg and Jamestown is given to the college.
  • May 8, 1966: Dupont Hall is dedicated.
  • May 11. 2008: Pittsburgh Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin, a member of the Class of 1995, delivers the 2008 commencement address.
  • May 13, 1909: Dedication of Tucker Hall.
  • May 14, 1694: Coat of Arms is issued.
  • May 14, 2000: Henry A. Kissinger was elected as the College's 22nd Chancellor by the Board of Visitors.
  • May 14, 2006: Archbishop Desmond Tutu delivers the 2006 commencement address at the College.
  • May 15, 1926: Calvin Coolidge speaks on campus.
  • May 16, 1993: For the first time, Commencement was held in Walter J. Zable Stadium.
  • May 17, 1930: Groundbreaking of Brown Hall.
  • May 23, 1991: The Association of 1775 was established.
  • May 31, 1940: Glen Miller and his orchestra preform at William and Mary.

June

July

August

September

October

November

December

Material in the Special Collections Research Center

References

  • SCRC File.


Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.