Difference between revisions of "William and Mary Historical Highlights"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(December)
m (Text replacement - "William and Mary" to "William & Mary")
 
(9 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 2: Line 2:
  
 
==January==
 
==January==
*1771: Classes suspended when the British Army invaded Virginia.
+
*1781: Classes suspended when the British Army invaded Virginia.
 
*1922: The [[Marshall-Wythe School of Government and Citizenship]] was founded.
 
*1922: The [[Marshall-Wythe School of Government and Citizenship]] was founded.
 
*1990: The Gentlemen of the College, a [[student]] men's a cappella group, was founded.  
 
*1990: The Gentlemen of the College, a [[student]] men's a cappella group, was founded.  
Line 55: Line 55:
 
*1963: Wig Coffee Club opens in the [[Campus Center]].
 
*1963: Wig Coffee Club opens in the [[Campus Center]].
 
*April 1: look for the Fat Head traditional April Fools version of the [[Flat Hat]].
 
*April 1: look for the Fat Head traditional April Fools version of the [[Flat Hat]].
*April 2, 1752: The first of the [[Honorary degree recipients]] of the college  was Benjamin Franklin who was given a Master of Arts.
+
*April 2, 1756: The first of the [[Honorary degree recipients]] of the college  was Benjamin Franklin who was given a Master of Arts.
 
*April 3, 1995: The College dedicated the $3-million, 6,400-square-foot [[McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center]].
 
*April 3, 1995: The College dedicated the $3-million, 6,400-square-foot [[McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center]].
 
*April 6, 2010: [[Griffin]] is announced as [[Mascot]].
 
*April 6, 2010: [[Griffin]] is announced as [[Mascot]].
Line 69: Line 69:
 
*April 20, 1960: [[Campus Center]] opens.
 
*April 20, 1960: [[Campus Center]] opens.
 
*April 21, 2006: Michael Powell member of the Class of 1985, is elected [[Rector]] of the College of William and Mary.
 
*April 21, 2006: Michael Powell member of the Class of 1985, is elected [[Rector]] of the College of William and Mary.
*April 22, 2008: Resolution passed to explore [[William and Mary]] history of [[slavery]] and race relations.
+
*April 22, 2008: Resolution passed to explore [[William & Mary]] history of [[slavery]] and race relations.
 
*April 24, 1981: William George Guy Lecture Hall in [[Rogers Hall]] is dedicated.
 
*April 24, 1981: William George Guy Lecture Hall in [[Rogers Hall]] is dedicated.
 
*April 25, 1762: [[Thomas Jefferson]] leaves the college.
 
*April 25, 1762: [[Thomas Jefferson]] leaves the college.
Line 123: Line 123:
  
 
==July==
 
==July==
*July 1842: The William and Mary Quarterly is first published by [[Lyon G. Tyler]].
+
*July 1892: The William and Mary Quarterly is first published by [[Lyon G. Tyler]].
 
*July 1978: The Virginia Shakespeare Festival began its first season at William and Mary
 
*July 1978: The Virginia Shakespeare Festival began its first season at William and Mary
 
*July 1979: The [[Virginia Institute of Marine Science]] at Gloucester Point was fully integrated into the College.  
 
*July 1979: The [[Virginia Institute of Marine Science]] at Gloucester Point was fully integrated into the College.  
 
*July 1, 1849: [[John Johns]] becomes [[President]].
 
*July 1, 1849: [[John Johns]] becomes [[President]].
 
*July 1, 1944: [[Earl Gregg Swem]] retires.
 
*July 1, 1944: [[Earl Gregg Swem]] retires.
*July 4, 1842: [[William and Mary]] [[Alumni Association]] is organized.
+
*July 4, 1842: [[William & Mary]] [[Alumni Association]] is organized.
 
*July 5, 1870: First Commencement since the [[Civil War]].
 
*July 5, 1870: First Commencement since the [[Civil War]].
 
*July 6, 1836: [[Thomas Roderick Dew]] was appointed 13th [[President]] of the college.
 
*July 6, 1836: [[Thomas Roderick Dew]] was appointed 13th [[President]] of the college.
Line 177: Line 177:
 
*October 12, 1972: The [[Order of the White Jacket]] was established to recognize those who worked in food service during their years at the college.  
 
*October 12, 1972: The [[Order of the White Jacket]] was established to recognize those who worked in food service during their years at the college.  
 
*October 13, 1869: Classes resumes after the [[College Building]] was repaired from damages received during [[Civil War]].
 
*October 13, 1869: Classes resumes after the [[College Building]] was repaired from damages received during [[Civil War]].
*October 15, 1937: Death of [[Lord Botetourt]].
+
*October 15, 1770: Death of [[Lord Botetourt]].
 
*October 15, 1937: Birth of [[Linda Lavin]].
 
*October 15, 1937: Birth of [[Linda Lavin]].
 
*October 16, 1911: Birth of [[Edward Travis]] first [[African American]] Law student.
 
*October 16, 1911: Birth of [[Edward Travis]] first [[African American]] Law student.
Line 209: Line 209:
 
*November 11, 1966: [[Tucker-Coleman Room]] in [[Swem Library]] is dedicated.
 
*November 11, 1966: [[Tucker-Coleman Room]] in [[Swem Library]] is dedicated.
 
*November 11, 1992: [[Thomas Jefferson]] [[statue]] is dedicated.
 
*November 11, 1992: [[Thomas Jefferson]] [[statue]] is dedicated.
 +
*November 13, 1993: Nirvana in [[concert]] at W&M Hall.
 
*November 15, 1963: [[Adair Hall]] is dedicated.
 
*November 15, 1963: [[Adair Hall]] is dedicated.
 
*November 17, 1938: [[Mascot]] pony [[Wampo]] stolen from stable by a rival team.
 
*November 17, 1938: [[Mascot]] pony [[Wampo]] stolen from stable by a rival team.
Line 222: Line 223:
 
*1963: [[Small Hall]] completed.
 
*1963: [[Small Hall]] completed.
 
*1991: [[Filipino American Student Association]] writes constitution.
 
*1991: [[Filipino American Student Association]] writes constitution.
*1993: Andrew Zawacki was chosen as the College's second Rhodes Scholar.  
+
*1993: Andrew Zawacki chosen as the College's second Rhodes Scholar.  
 
*December 4, 1779: [[Medical Education at the College of William and Mary#Chair of Anatomy and Medicine|Chair of Anatomy and Medicine]] is created.
 
*December 4, 1779: [[Medical Education at the College of William and Mary#Chair of Anatomy and Medicine|Chair of Anatomy and Medicine]] is created.
 
*December 4, 1779:  The college becomes a University.
 
*December 4, 1779:  The college becomes a University.
*December 5, 1776: Students form Phi Betta Kappa an honors society.
+
*December 5, 1776: Students form [[Phi Beta Kappa]].
 
*December 5, 1973: [[Morton Hall]] is dedicated.
 
*December 5, 1973: [[Morton Hall]] is dedicated.
 
*December 5, 2008: Groundbreaking of [[Cohen Career Center]].
 
*December 5, 2008: Groundbreaking of [[Cohen Career Center]].
*December 14, 1799: Death of [[George Washington]] who served as[[Chancellor]].  
+
*December 14, 1799: Death of [[George Washington]] who served as [[Chancellor]].  
 
*December 20, 1693: Land purchased for college site from Captain Thomas Ballard.
 
*December 20, 1693: Land purchased for college site from Captain Thomas Ballard.
 
*December 26, 1968: Birth of alumnus [[Bill Lawrence]].
 
*December 26, 1968: Birth of alumnus [[Bill Lawrence]].
*December 29, 1860:  Birth of [[Earl Gregg Swem]].
+
*December 29, 1880:  Birth of [[Earl Gregg Swem]].
 
*December 29, 1953: [[Fire]] destroys auditorium in [[Ewell Hall]].
 
*December 29, 1953: [[Fire]] destroys auditorium in [[Ewell Hall]].
 
==Other Important Dates==
 
*1723:  The [[Brafferton]] is erected.
 
*1774-1776: [[James Monroe]] attends the college.
 
*1777: Students form a College Company to fight in the [[American Revolution]].
 
*1783: [[Thomas Jefferson]] became one of the college's [[Honorary degree recipients]] when he received a Doctor of Laws.
 
*1854: [[Benjamin S. Ewell]] is elected [[President]] of the college.
 
*1881: The College was forced to close due to lack of funds.
 
*1935: The Sunken Gardens are installed.
 
*1963: [[Adair Gymnasium]] opened.
 
*1971: Construction completed on [[William and Mary Hall]].
 
  
 
==Material in the Special Collections Research Center==
 
==Material in the Special Collections Research Center==

Latest revision as of 17:18, 9 September 2019

This is a working chronological list of William and Mary Historical Highlights prepared for use by staff of the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center. There is of course much more to the history of the College of William and Mary than the dates and vignettes listed here. Feel free to browse this wiki to find more of these stories and consult any of the several books to use for College history research.

January

February

March

April

May

  • 1691: Reverend James Blair is given instructions to found a college in Virginia.
  • 1861: President Benjamin S. Ewell, the professors, and many students enter the Confederate Army during the Civil War.
  • 1966: Parent's Day was begun.
  • 1976: The college launches its largest fund raising effort yet the Campaign for the College.
  • 1981: Earl Gregg Swem Library received its one-millionth volume.
  • May 3, 2005: Fire in Preston Hall.
  • May 4, 1989: Van Buren band-orchestra room named.
  • May 5, 1862: Civil War Battle of Williamsburg.
  • May 8, 1784: Title of public lands surrounding Williamsburg and Jamestown is given to the college.
  • May 8, 1966: Dupont Hall is dedicated.
  • May 11. 2008: Pittsburgh Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin, a member of the Class of 1995, delivers the 2008 commencement address.
  • May 13, 1909: Dedication of Tucker Hall.
  • May 14, 1694: Coat of Arms is issued.
  • May 14, 2000: Henry A. Kissinger was elected as the College's 22nd Chancellor by the Board of Visitors.
  • May 14, 2006: Archbishop Desmond Tutu delivers the 2006 commencement address at the College.
  • May 15, 1926: Calvin Coolidge speaks on campus.
  • May 16, 1993: For the first time, Commencement was held in Walter J. Zable Stadium.
  • May 17, 1930: Groundbreaking of Brown Hall.
  • May 23, 1991: The Association of 1775 was established.
  • May 31, 1940: Glen Miller and his orchestra preform at William and Mary.

June

July

August

September

October

November

December

Material in the Special Collections Research Center

References

  • SCRC File.



Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.