William Booth Taliaferro (1822-1898)
William Booth Taliaferro attended the College of William and Mary  and studied law at Harvard. He fought in the Mexican War in the 9th United States Infantry. After the war, he served in the Virginia House of Delegates. On February 7, 1853, he married Sally Nivison Lyons, with whom he had eight children. During the U.S. Civil War, he served under Jackson in the Rich Mountain, Romney, and Valley campaigns. He commanded Jackson's division at Cedar Mountain, Second Manassas and Fredericksburg. He served at Fort Wagner, James Island and in Florida and Georgia. After the Civil War, he again served in the legislature; was a judge ; and served on the Board of Visitors of William and Mary in 1870, and Rector 1890-1899. He died February 28, 1898 and is buried Ware Episcopal Church Cemetery in Gloucester, Virginia. 
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- William Booth Taliaferro Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography, Volume 3, Page 90. Accessed October 21, 2016.
- "Official Report from General William Booth Taliaferro, C.S.A. Report from Battery Wagner, July 18, 1863" Civil War Trust Report from the Official Records, Vol. XXVIII, pp. 418 - 419. Accessed October 19, 2016.
- The College of William & Mary, A Provisional List of Alumni, Grammar School Students, Members of the Faculty, and Members of the Board of Visitors of the College of William and Mary in Virginia, from 1693 to 1888, Issued as an Appeal for Additional Information, (Richmond Division of Purchase and Printing, 1941), accessed October 19, 2016, https://digitalarchive.wm.edu/handle/10288/13856
- William Booth Taliaferro and Ludwell H. Johnson, "William Booth Taliaferro's Letters from Mexico, 1857-1848", The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 73 (Oct., 1965), 455-473, accessed October 19, 2016, http://www.jstor.org/stable/4247158
- "William Booth Taliaferro," Find a Grave, last modified July 16, 2000, accessed October 21, 2016, Feb. 28, 1898.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|