Difference between revisions of "William & Mary"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Buildings: added brackets and bullets)
(Buildings)
Line 31: Line 31:
 
*[[Campus Center]] Built 1959-1960.
 
*[[Campus Center]] Built 1959-1960.
 
*[[Cary Field]] Field built in 1909, stadium built in 1935.
 
*[[Cary Field]] Field built in 1909, stadium built in 1935.
*[[Chancellors]] Built 1926-27 as Rogers Hall, for physics and chemistry. Rededicated in 1982 as *[[Chancellors Hall]] New home of Business School. Renamed in 1988 to Tyler Hall
+
*[[Chancellors Hall]] Built 1926-27 as Rogers Hall, for physics and chemistry. Rededicated in 1982 as Chancellors Hall, new home of Business School. Renamed in 1988 to Tyler Hall
 
*[[Chandler Hall]] Built 1931, named for President Julian A.C. Chandler, women’s dormitory
 
*[[Chandler Hall]] Built 1931, named for President Julian A.C. Chandler, women’s dormitory
 
*[[College Apartments]] 112 North Boundary Street. Built 1941-42 for faculty apartments.
 
*[[College Apartments]] 112 North Boundary Street. Built 1941-42 for faculty apartments.

Revision as of 13:11, 4 April 2007

Awards and Honors

The College of William and Mary grants various awards to students, faculty and staff, alumni/ae, and members of the community.

Honorary Degree Recipients

Honorary degrees are typically awarded by the College at Charter Day and Commencement as well as other special campus events. There are usually multiple honorary degree recipients at each event with one recipient presenting a speech.

Board of Visitors

On March 5, 1906, by act of the General Assembly, all College property was transferred to the Commonwealth of Virginia. This transfer was sponsored by the College with a view toward increasing its resources. On March 8, the faculty accepted the provisions of the act, and on the following day it was approved by the Board of Visitors. A new board was appointed by the governor and "vested with all rights and powers conferred by the provisions of this act and by the Ancient Royal Charter of the College."


Campus Buildings and Landmarks

On March 5, 1906, by act of the General Assembly, all College property was transferred to the Commonwealth of Virginia. This transfer was sponsored by the College with a view toward increasing its resources. On March 8, the faculty accepted the provisions of the act, and on the following day it was approved by the Board of Visitors.

Historic Campus

  • Brafferton Built 1723 for Indian School. Used as dormitory, offices, classroom, guest rooms, president’s office, and alumni offices. Restored 1931-32.
  • President’s House Built 1732. Restored 1931. Home of all the College’s presidents.
  • Wren Building Foundation begun in 1695, burned and reconstructed in 1705, 1859, and 1862. Restored 1928-31. Named for Sir Christopher Wren of England.

Buildings

  • Adair Gymnasium Built 1962-63. Women’s physical education. Named for Cornelia Storrs Adair.
  • Alumni House (Bright House) Built 1850’s. Housing for professors early 1920’s. Kappa Alpha fraternity house 1925-1943. Purchased by College in 1946, converted to faculty apartments. Became the Alumni House in 1972
  • Andrews Hall (Robert Andrews Hall of Fine Arts) Built 1966 behind Phi Beta Kappa Hall, facing Swem Library.
  • Barrett Hall (Kate Waller Barrett Hall) Built 1926-27. Women’s dormitory.
  • James Blair Hall Built 1934-35 as Marshall-Wythe Hall, housed administrative offices and Marshall-Wythe School of Government and Citizenship. President’s office until 1962. Renamed James Blair Hall in 1968.
  • Blow Gymnasium (George Preston Blow Gymnasium) Built 1924 as men’s gymnasium
  • Bookstore Built 1965 on site of Morris House on Jamestown Rd. Bookstore relocated to Merchants Sq. in 2001.
  • Botetourt Complex Built 1971, originally intended for sorority complex. Used as language house. Units named for royal governors.
  • Brafferton Built 1723 for Indian School. Used as dormitory, offices, classroom, guest rooms, president’s office, and alumni offices. Restored 1931-32.
  • Brown Hall Built 1930 by Women’s Missionary Society of the Virginia Methodist Conference to replace older frame building which was moved to 524 Prince George Street behind Sorority Court. Built with funds left by Mrs. Edward Brown of Lynchburg. Purchased by College in 1939.
  • Bryan Complex Built 1953, 2 wings added in 1959. Housed Marshall-Wythe School of Law from 1959-1967.
  • Campus Center Built 1959-1960.
  • Cary Field Field built in 1909, stadium built in 1935.
  • Chancellors Hall Built 1926-27 as Rogers Hall, for physics and chemistry. Rededicated in 1982 as Chancellors Hall, new home of Business School. Renamed in 1988 to Tyler Hall
  • Chandler Hall Built 1931, named for President Julian A.C. Chandler, women’s dormitory
  • College Apartments 112 North Boundary Street. Built 1941-42 for faculty apartments.
  • Commons Built 1965-66. College dining hall.
  • Deanery (also known as Old Steward’s House, Rear Dormitory) Formerly located east of Trinkle Hall (approx. between Trinkle and Hunt). Small brick building stuccoed on the outside and painted yellow, with castellated parapet, used as women’s dormitory in 1920’s. Was torn down in 1930.
  • Dining Hall Built 1914. Now incorporated in Campus Center (Market Place serving area and atrium)
  • Dupont Hall Built 1964. Named for Jessie Ball Dupont.
  • Ewell Hall Dormitory Formerly located on south side of Jamestown Road across from Brafferton on site of Campus Center. Purchased by College in 1859 as dormitory, named College Hotel, 17 room Brick house. Renamed Ewell Hall in 1894 on death of the College President Benjamin S. Ewell. Served as dining hall 1905 until 1914. Torn down in 1927.
  • Ewell Hall Built 1925-1926 as Phi Beta Kappa Memorial Hall. Had reproduction Apollo Room from Raleigh Tavern (northeast wing at front). An auditorium in the south end which burned in 1953. Music building since 1955. South wing reconstructed 1957-58. Renamed Ewell Hall in 1957. Admissions office since 1962.
  • Gymnasium Formerly located 100 feet southwest of Wren Building, in line with west end of Chapel, east of Ewell Hall. Built 1900, converted to classroom building in 1922, renamed Citizenship Building, original home of Marshall-Wythe School of Government and Citizenship, (established in 1922). Torn down in 1931.
  • Hunt Hall Built 1930 as College infirmary to replace old frame building on Jamestown Road built 1894 on site of Taliaferro. Named David King Infirmary in 1934. Converted to dormitory in 1973. Renamed Althea Hunt Residence in 1974.
  • Jefferson Hall Built 1920-21 as women’s dormitory. Basement originally had a gymnasium and a swimming pool, served as College gymnasium from 1922-25. Burned 1983 and was reconstructed.
  • Jones Hall Built 1968-69, named for Hugh Jones, Prof. of Natural Philosophy and Mathematics 1917-21. Originally housed computer center, mathematics, philosophy, government, and business administration.
  • Kaplan Arena
  • David J. King Student Health Center Built 1973, addition 1980.
  • Landrum Hall Built 1957-58 as women’s dormitory.
  • Laundry and Warehouse Built 1929. College laundry service until 1974.
  • Law School Built 1978-80.
  • Millington Hall Built 1966-68. John Millington Hall of Life Sciences. Biology and Psychology departments.
  • Monroe Hall Built 1923-24 as men’s dormitory, same plan as Jefferson Hall but without gymnasium.
  • Morris House 10 room frame house on site of old College Bookstore on Jamestown Road. Purchased by College in 1928, used for student housing. Torn down in 1964.
  • Morton Hall Built 1972. History, Sociology, Government, Economics departments. Named for Prof. Richard Lee Morton.
  • Muscarelle Museum Built 1982-83. Named for Joseph and Margaret Muscarelle, principle donors. Addition 1986.
  • Old Dominion Hall Built 1927 as men’s dormitory. Served as dormitory for Navy Chaplain’s school 1943-45. Post office in basement since 1972.
  • Phi Beta Kappa Hall Built 1956-57. Auditorium Theatre and Spech departments.
  • Power Plant Built 1911. Now used as ceramics studio. Present power plant built in 1953.
  • President’s House Built 1732. Restored 1931. Home of all the College’s presidents.
  • Randolph Residences Built 1979-80. Six buildings named for Virginia Governors.
  • Recreation Center Built in 1989. Also known as the Recreational Sports Center.
  • Rogers Hall Built 1974-75. Chemistry and Religion departments.
  • Science Hall Built 1905, torn down 1932. Formerly located about 100 feet northwest of Wren Building, in line with west end of Great Hall wing, east of Tucker.
  • Small Hall Built 1963. Named for William Small, Prof. of Natural Philosophy. Physics and Geology observatory.
  • Swem Library Built 1964-65. Named for Earl Gregg Swem, College Librarian 1920-44. Addition 1987-88. Renovated 1999-2005.
  • Taliaferro Building Built 1893-94, torn down 1967. Formerly located north of Campus Center across from Brafferton on south side of Jamestown Road. Named for Confederate General William Booth Taliaferro. Dormitory until 1932. Renovated in 1932 for administrative offices and in 1936-37 for Fine Arts building.
  • Taliaferro Hall Built 1934-35 as dormitory.
  • Trinkle Hall Built 1925 as addition to old dining hall of 1914. Named for Governor Elbert Lee Trinkle. Closed in 1972 as cafeteria.
  • Tucker Hall Front portion built as College Library in 1908, additions built in 1923 and 1929. Served as library until 1966. Served as Law School building 1967-80. Renamed St. George Tucker Hall 1980, and now houses the English Department.
  • Tyler Hall Built 1916 as dormitory. Named for Lyon G. Tyler and his family. Became first women’s dormitory in 1918. North wing built as Miriana Robinson Conservatory in 1926, formerly had greenhouse attached. South wing built in 1927, used as sorority and later fraternity house. Tyler closed as dormitory in 1981. Reconstruction began in 1987 for Reeves Center of International Studies.
  • Washington Hall Built 1928 for Biology on ground floor, other departments on 2nd and 3rd floors. Presently used for anthropology and modern languages and literatures departments.
  • William and Mary Hall Built 1970. Gymnasium and concert hall.
  • Wren Building Foundation began in 1695, burned and reconstructed in 1705, 1859, and 1862. Restored 1928-31. Named for Sir Christopher Wren of England.
  • Yates Hall Built 1961-62. Named for William Yates, fifth President of William and Mary.
  • Zable Stadium

Landmarks

  • College Cemetery
  • College Woods
  • Crim Dell
  • Lake Matoaka
  • Sunken Garden Built 1935, design by Charles F. Gillette, landscape architect.

Chronological History of the College

A chronology of the College based on the Vital Facts booklet first produced by librarian Earl Gregg Swem in 1921 is available from the College's website. The most recent paper edition was published in 2004 and the online version continues to be updated by the College.

Publications

The University Archives attempts to obtain at least one copy of each publication (printed and duplicated materials) issued by a campus office or organization. While this is not, of course, completely possible, the Archives contains an extensive collection of twentieth-century materials, and has a number of publications going back into the early 1800s. The historically important college catalogs run from 1829 to the present, with gaps, and the earliest commencement program is dated 1831.

Other important published sources of information about the college include: campus directories, student handbooks, student and faculty speeches, Charter Day programs, departmental newsletters, annual reports, publicity brochures, materials for prospective students, affirmative action reports, fliers announcing up-coming fraternity parties, news releases, athletic programs, cultural events calendars, play programs, and student newspapers. There are some scattered publications from the various branch and extension colleges which have been affiliated with William and Mary.

  • Colonial Echo
  • Eighteenth-Century Life
  • The Flat Hat (1911- ): The student newspaper, The Flat Hat, is a rich source of information, announcing events taking place on campus as well as reflecting student opinion. It began publication in October 1911 and, except during the fall of 1918, has been continuously published ever since.
  • William and Mary Law Review
  • William and Mary Quarterly