The building was planned as a science hall in memory of William Barton Rogers. In 1923 an application was made to the General Education Board for a donation of $150,000 to begin a campaign for raising $300,000 for a memorial science hall to William Barton Rogers - $200,000 for building and $100,000 for equipment (Board of Visitors, June 1923, p. 64) The General Education Board donated $100,000 contingent on the College providing the remaining $200,000 needed (two thirds for the building and the remainder for equipment). (Board of Visitors, June 1924, p. 86)
In 1926 plans were submitted for the approval of the building committee (Board of Visitors, Feb. 1926, p. 122) plans approved (BofV, March 1926, p. 125); contract awarded; $202,000 Harwood Construction Co. (BofV, June 1926, p.139); cornerstone laid August 28 by Williamsburg Lodge of Masons (FH, 9/24/1926, 5).
Charles M. Robinson was the architect and Harwood Construction Co. from Newport News was the general contractor. The building opened in the fall of 1927 and housed the chemistry, physics, and psychology departments.
A fire burned the roof, dormer story, and third floor of the building in 1930, causing $70,142 worth of damage. Temporary roofing was set up on the west end of the hall until June so that classes could be held while construction continued on a permanent roof for the east side. A basement fire in 1972 caused $30,000 in damage.
The building was used in 1975 to house the Development Office, the Metropolitan Criminal Justice Center, the National Center for State Courts, the Anthropology Department, the Adult Skills Program, and the Publication Office. It was renovated in the summer of 1980 for the School of Business Administration. The building was renamed Chancellors Hall and dedicated as the business school on President's Day, February 5, 1982. In 1985 the basement was renovated to house the Professional Resources Facility, a research library, and office space. However, on June 24, 1988, the building was rededicated as Tyler Hall. The Departments of English (currently in Tucker Hall), History (currently in James Blair Hall), and Philosophy (currently in James Blair Hall) were previously housed in Tyler Hall.
1927--constructed; Housed Chemistry, Physics, Psychology Departments (1928--29 Handbook, p. 17)
• open in Fall. Ground floor physics department, 2nd and 3rd floors chemistry. Lecture rooms, reading rooms, private laboratories for research work (WM Catalog, April 1928, p. 34)
1930--fire burned the roof, dormer story and third floor causing $70,142 worth of damage (March 15, 1930) • temporary roofing on west end until June so classes could be held, construction on permanent roof on east side begun. $72,000 insurance claim (FH, 3/28/1930, 5)
1930--housed the chemistry and physics departments (1930/31 Handbook, p. 21)
1972--fire in basement, $30,000 damages, June 25, 1972 (FH, 9/17/1972,p.1)
1975--to be used by Development Office, Metropolitan Criminal Justice Center, National Center for State Courts, Anthropology Department, Adult Skills Program, Publication Office (WMN, 9/23/1975, 5)
1980--renovation for School of Business Administration begun (WMN, 8/26/1980, p.7) over summer. • Interior walls torn down on lower floors (WMN, 9/9/1980, 3) • renovation just begun (FH, 8/29/1980, 2)
1982--Renamed Chancellors Hall and dedicated as the business school on President's Day
February 5, 1982. (WMN, 2/2/1952, 1; WMN, 2/9/1982, 1, 5)
1985--renovation in basement for Professional Resources Facility, research library and office space, in former MBA lounge space (FH, 1/25/1985, p. 4)
1928--Colonial Echo, p. 16
1942--Colonial Echo, p. 24
1982--Colonial Echo, p. 136
- University Archives Buildings File (2007), Chancellors Hall, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.