Tyler Hall

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Revision as of 11:39, 13 August 2008 by Marilynorma (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Chancellors Hall, formerly named Rogers Hall and now known as Tyler Hall, is located on Blair Road between James Blair Hall and Tucker Hall.

Chancellor's Hall

Opened: 1927 as Rogers Hall

Renamed Chancellors Hall: 1982

Rededicated as Tyler Hall: 1988

Map it for me

The building was planned as a science hall in memory of William Barton Rogers. The General Education Board donated $100,000 contingent on the College providing the remaining $200,000 needed (two thirds for the building and the remainder for equipment). Charles M. Robinson was the architect and Harwood Construction Co. from Newport News was the general contractor. The building opened in the fall of 1927 and housed the chemistry, physics, and psychology departments.

Fire in Chancellors' Hall in 1930

The building also caught fire in 1972

A fire burned the roof, dormer story, and third floor of the building in 1930, causing $70,142 worth of damage. Temporary roofing was set up on the west end of the hall until June so that classes could be held while construction continued on a permanent roof for the east side. A basement fire in 1972 caused $30,000 in damage.

The building was used in 1975 to house the Development Office, the Metropolitan Criminal Justice Center, the National Center for State Courts, the Anthropology Department, the Adult Skills Program, and the Publication Office. It was renovated in the summer of 1980 for the School of Business Administration. The building was renamed Chancellors Hall and dedicated as the business school on President's Day, February 5, 1982. In 1985 the basement was renovated to house the Professional Resources Facility, a research library, and office space. However, on June 24, 1988, the building was rededicated as Tyler Hall. The Departments of English (currently in Tucker Hall), History (currently in James Blair Hall), and Philosophy (currently in James Blair Hall) were previously housed in Tyler Hall.

Photographs

1928--Colonial Echo, p. 16

1942--Colonial Echo, p. 24

1982--Colonial Echo, p. 136


References

  • University Archives Buildings File (2007), Chancellors Hall, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.