Difference between revisions of "Trinkle Hall"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m (typo)
m (Text replacement - "Swem Library, College of William and Mary" to "Swem Library, William & Mary")
 
(12 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
Around 1920 a temporary addition was added to the [[Dining Hall]] with materials from the Penniman complex. The structure was intended to alleviate overcrowding in [[Science Hall]] and to serve as a dorm for 50 and dining hall for 150.  The addition was destroyed on June 6, 1925, after a fire at the [[Penniman Building]] damaged the Dining Hall. The kitchen suffered $46,000 in damage.  
+
[[Image:B2003A1.jpg |thumb|right|Trinkle Hall<p>Opened: 1926</p><p>Named for: Governor E. Lee Trinkle</p><p>Renovations: 1929, 1950, 1983</p><p>Fire: 2003</p><p>[https://maps.google.com/maps?q=108+Jamestown+Road,+Williamsburg,+VA&ll=37.269242,-76.708155&spn=0.001225,0.00284&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=108+Jamestown+Rd,+Williamsburg,+Virginia+23185&gl=us&t=h&z=19 Map it for me]</p>]]
 
+
'''Trinkle Hall''' opened in September 1926 at [[William & Mary]]. Around 1920 a temporary addition was added to the [[Dining Hall]] with materials from the Penniman complex. The structure was intended to alleviate overcrowding in [[Science Hall]] and to serve as a dorm for 50 and dining hall for 150.  The addition was destroyed on June 6, 1925, after a fire at the [[Penniman Building]] damaged the Dining Hall. The kitchen suffered $46,000 in damage.  
Governor E. Lee Trinkle promptly authorized funding for a new building that would envelope the Dining Hall. The new building was designed by architect Charles M. Robinson. The facility, which seated 900-1,000 students, opened in September 1926 at a cost of $150,000. The Board of Visitors renamed the building '''Trinkle Hall''' in honor of Governor Trinkle.
+
__TOC__
 +
Governor E. Lee Trinkle promptly authorized funding for a new building that would envelope the Dining Hall. The new building was designed by architect [[Charles M. Robinson]]. The facility, which seated 900-1,000 students, opened in September 1926 at a cost of $150,000. The [[Board of Visitors]] renamed the building Trinkle Hall in honor of Governor Trinkle.
  
 
Minor renovations in 1929 included replastering the kitchen, tile floors, painting the interior, and relining the ovens. Circa 1941, a sound system was installed in Trinkle Hall. A [[bookstore]] and the [[Wigwam]] soda shop (both owned and operated by the [[College of William and Mary]]) became part of the new dining hall circa 1942-1943. The main dinging hall ("the barn") was converted to cafeteria service. A cloak room and restrooms were installed.  
 
Minor renovations in 1929 included replastering the kitchen, tile floors, painting the interior, and relining the ovens. Circa 1941, a sound system was installed in Trinkle Hall. A [[bookstore]] and the [[Wigwam]] soda shop (both owned and operated by the [[College of William and Mary]]) became part of the new dining hall circa 1942-1943. The main dinging hall ("the barn") was converted to cafeteria service. A cloak room and restrooms were installed.  
  
Trinkle Hall was remodeled and redecorated in Fall 1950 and the bookstore moved into [[Taliaferro Hall]] around that same time. The aesthetically pleasing "Garden Room" and "Topaz Room" replaced the old bookstore while the small cafeteria was transformed into the "Pagoda Room," a popular spot for students because it contained a large-screen television. The soda shop was discontinued circa 1960 when the [[Campus Center]] opened. The construction of the Commons Dining Hall in 1967 decreased Trinkle's popularity. It served as a site for special functions and as the Student Association movie theater. A pub opened within Trinkle in Fall 1970.  Trinkle Dining Hall officially closed in the fall of 1972.  
+
Trinkle Hall was remodeled and redecorated in Fall 1950 and the bookstore moved into [[Taliaferro Hall]] around that same time. The aesthetically pleasing "Garden Room" and "Topaz Room" replaced the old bookstore while the small cafeteria was transformed into the "Pagoda Room," a popular spot for students because it contained a large-screen television. The soda shop was discontinued circa 1960 when the [[Campus Center]] opened. The construction of the [[Commons Dining Hall]] in 1967 decreased Trinkle's popularity. It served as a site for special functions and as the Student Association movie theater. A pub opened within Trinkle in Fall 1970.  Trinkle Dining Hall officially closed in the fall of 1972.  
  
 
In the mid-1970's the "Hoi Polloi" was located just behind the [[Campus Center]] in old Trinkle Hall.  Frequented by students and faculty in an atmosphere less formal than that of a classroom, the Hoi Polloi provided rock bands, folk bands, dances and amateur night entertainment.
 
In the mid-1970's the "Hoi Polloi" was located just behind the [[Campus Center]] in old Trinkle Hall.  Frequented by students and faculty in an atmosphere less formal than that of a classroom, the Hoi Polloi provided rock bands, folk bands, dances and amateur night entertainment.
  
In 1983, a $1.2 million renovation of Trinkle Hall was proposed to transform the building into a student-activities center and to alleviate overcrowding at the Commons Dining Hall. Funded by the Auxiliary Enterprise Funds, the renovation transformed the pub into a cafeteria and added a gameroom, a craft studio, student offices, and an atrium lounge. Hudgens Construction Company of Newport News  completed the renovation in June of 1984 at a final cost of $1.48 million. The 23,000-square-foot complex was renamed the [[Campus Center]] with the Great Hall (the former large dining hall) being renamed Trinkle Hall. Hanging over the fireplace in Trinkle Hall is a large English coat of arms that has no connection to the College. Trinkle Hall and the Campus Center are located across from the historic campus on Jamestown Road.  
+
In 1983, a $1.2 million renovation of Trinkle Hall was proposed to transform the building into a student-activities center and to alleviate overcrowding at the Commons Dining Hall. Funded by the Auxiliary Enterprise Funds, the renovation transformed the pub into a cafeteria and added a gameroom, a craft studio, student offices, and an atrium lounge. Hudgens Construction Company of Newport News  completed the renovation in June of 1984 at a final cost of $1.48 million. The 23,000-square-foot complex was renamed the [[Campus Center]] with the Great Hall (the former large dining hall) being renamed Trinkle Hall. Hanging over the fireplace in Trinkle Hall is a large English coat of arms that has no connection to the university. Trinkle Hall and the Campus Center are located across from the historic campus on Jamestown Road.  
  
On April 3, 2003, a [[fire]] in a maintenance team’s office in the basement of Trinkle Hall resulted in smoke damage and caused the Campus Center to be shut down for most of the morning yesterday. The fire was mainly contained in that area, but also spread to the Print Shop at the back of the Campus Center.[http://hdl.handle.net/10288/1357]  
+
On April 3, 2003, a [[fire]] in a maintenance team’s office in the basement of Trinkle Hall resulted in smoke damage and caused the Campus Center to be shut down for most of the morning. The fire was mainly contained in that area, but also spread to the Print Shop at the back of the Campus Center.[http://hdl.handle.net/10288/1357]  
  
==Select Photographs==
+
==Material in the Special Collections Research Center==
 +
*[http://guides.swem.wm.edu/wm Guide for conducting research related to the College of William & Mary]
 +
*''[http://swem.wm.edu/beta/flathat/ The Flat Hat]'' (select), 10/6/42, p. 4; FH, 2/27/51, p. 1; FH, 3/7/75, p. 9; FH, 2/27/76, p. 20; FH, 8/31/84, p. 5.
 +
*''Alumni Gazette'' (select), Dec. 1950, p. 4-5; June 1984, p. 4-5.
 +
*''William and Mary News'' (select), 9/11/84, p. 1; 10/31/84, p. 1.
 +
*''Colonial Echo.''
 +
*Buildings and Grounds--Trinkle Hall, University Archives Subject File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, William & Mary.
 +
*Buildings and Grounds--Trinkle Hall and other folders, University Archives Subject File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, William & Mary.
 +
*Additional material described in the [http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=core%2Fsearch&q=%22trinkle+hall%22&x=0&y=0&content=1 SCRC Collections Database].
  
FH, 10/6/42, p. 4
+
==References==
 
 
AG, Dec. 1950, p. 4-5
 
 
 
FH, 2/27/51, p. 1
 
 
 
FH, 3/7/75, p. 9
 
 
 
FH, 2/27/76, p. 20
 
 
 
AG, June 1984, p. 4-5
 
 
 
FH, 8/31/84, p. 5
 
 
 
WMN, 9/11/84, p. 1
 
 
WMN, 10/31/84, p. 1
 
 
Subject File- Buildings and Grounds – Trinkle Hall
 
 
 
- Exterior picture – c. 1926
 
 
 
- Interior picture - Daily Press, 5/10/84
 
  
==References==
 
*''Trinkle Hall'', University Archives Buildings File (2007), Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
 
 
*[http://hdl.handle.net/10288/1357 Fire Threatens Campus Center], ''The Flat Hat'' 4 April 2003.
 
*[http://hdl.handle.net/10288/1357 Fire Threatens Campus Center], ''The Flat Hat'' 4 April 2003.
  
 +
{{helpmsg}}
 +
{{infodisclaimer}}
  
==Need help?== 
+
[[Category:William & Mary Buildings]]
To search for further material, see [http://swem.wm.edu/scrc/Tools.cfm Finding Materials in the SCRC] for an introduction to the [http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/ SCRC Collections Database], card catalogs, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, etc. 
 
 
 
Questions? Contact the SCRC at spcoll@wm.edu or 221-3090, or visit the [http://swem.wm.edu/scrc/ Special Collections Research Center] in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary ([http://www.swem.wm.edu/scrc hours]).
 
 
 
 
 
{| border="1" class="wikitable" style="margin: 1em auto 1em auto"
 
|-
 
! style="background:#228844" |A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
 
|-
 
| |Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's [http://swem.wm.edu/scrc/Tools.cfm access tools] for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.
 
|}
 
 
 
[[Category:College of William and Mary Buildings]]
 

Latest revision as of 16:16, 9 September 2019

Trinkle Hall

Opened: 1926

Named for: Governor E. Lee Trinkle

Renovations: 1929, 1950, 1983

Fire: 2003

Map it for me

Trinkle Hall opened in September 1926 at William & Mary. Around 1920 a temporary addition was added to the Dining Hall with materials from the Penniman complex. The structure was intended to alleviate overcrowding in Science Hall and to serve as a dorm for 50 and dining hall for 150. The addition was destroyed on June 6, 1925, after a fire at the Penniman Building damaged the Dining Hall. The kitchen suffered $46,000 in damage.

Governor E. Lee Trinkle promptly authorized funding for a new building that would envelope the Dining Hall. The new building was designed by architect Charles M. Robinson. The facility, which seated 900-1,000 students, opened in September 1926 at a cost of $150,000. The Board of Visitors renamed the building Trinkle Hall in honor of Governor Trinkle.

Minor renovations in 1929 included replastering the kitchen, tile floors, painting the interior, and relining the ovens. Circa 1941, a sound system was installed in Trinkle Hall. A bookstore and the Wigwam soda shop (both owned and operated by the College of William and Mary) became part of the new dining hall circa 1942-1943. The main dinging hall ("the barn") was converted to cafeteria service. A cloak room and restrooms were installed.

Trinkle Hall was remodeled and redecorated in Fall 1950 and the bookstore moved into Taliaferro Hall around that same time. The aesthetically pleasing "Garden Room" and "Topaz Room" replaced the old bookstore while the small cafeteria was transformed into the "Pagoda Room," a popular spot for students because it contained a large-screen television. The soda shop was discontinued circa 1960 when the Campus Center opened. The construction of the Commons Dining Hall in 1967 decreased Trinkle's popularity. It served as a site for special functions and as the Student Association movie theater. A pub opened within Trinkle in Fall 1970. Trinkle Dining Hall officially closed in the fall of 1972.

In the mid-1970's the "Hoi Polloi" was located just behind the Campus Center in old Trinkle Hall. Frequented by students and faculty in an atmosphere less formal than that of a classroom, the Hoi Polloi provided rock bands, folk bands, dances and amateur night entertainment.

In 1983, a $1.2 million renovation of Trinkle Hall was proposed to transform the building into a student-activities center and to alleviate overcrowding at the Commons Dining Hall. Funded by the Auxiliary Enterprise Funds, the renovation transformed the pub into a cafeteria and added a gameroom, a craft studio, student offices, and an atrium lounge. Hudgens Construction Company of Newport News completed the renovation in June of 1984 at a final cost of $1.48 million. The 23,000-square-foot complex was renamed the Campus Center with the Great Hall (the former large dining hall) being renamed Trinkle Hall. Hanging over the fireplace in Trinkle Hall is a large English coat of arms that has no connection to the university. Trinkle Hall and the Campus Center are located across from the historic campus on Jamestown Road.

On April 3, 2003, a fire in a maintenance team’s office in the basement of Trinkle Hall resulted in smoke damage and caused the Campus Center to be shut down for most of the morning. The fire was mainly contained in that area, but also spread to the Print Shop at the back of the Campus Center.[1]

Material in the Special Collections Research Center

  • Guide for conducting research related to the College of William & Mary
  • The Flat Hat (select), 10/6/42, p. 4; FH, 2/27/51, p. 1; FH, 3/7/75, p. 9; FH, 2/27/76, p. 20; FH, 8/31/84, p. 5.
  • Alumni Gazette (select), Dec. 1950, p. 4-5; June 1984, p. 4-5.
  • William and Mary News (select), 9/11/84, p. 1; 10/31/84, p. 1.
  • Colonial Echo.
  • Buildings and Grounds--Trinkle Hall, University Archives Subject File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, William & Mary.
  • Buildings and Grounds--Trinkle Hall and other folders, University Archives Subject File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, William & Mary.
  • Additional material described in the SCRC Collections Database.

References


Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.