Thomas Tully Lynch Snead
Thomas Tully Lynch Snead attended the College of William and Mary from 1852 through 1856 and served as a professor from 1856 until the early 1870s.
Snead was born on March 20, 1832, the son of George F. Snead. He was from Accomac, Virginia. He attended Margaret Academy. In 1855, Snead was listed as an instructor at the Williamsburg Female Academy. In 1856, Snead was appointed a member of the College faculty as Adjunct Professor of Mathematics. In 1859 he was appointed Professor of Mathematics. During the Civil War, Snead served as a captain in the C.S.A. Engineers. In 1867, he planted trees on the campus of William and Mary and was recognized for his beautification efforts.
Snead submitted a letter to the Board of Visitors of the College dated June 19, 1872, requesting compensation for having taught President Benjamin S. Ewell's classes while Ewell was in Washington, D.C. seeking compensation from Congress for the College.
Snead died on July 3, 1873, in Williamsburg and at the request of the faculty was buried in the College Cemetery.
- Thomas Tully Lynch Snead, University Archives Faculty-Alumni File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's access tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|