Thomas Ashley Graves, Jr. Award
The Thomas Ashley Graves, Jr. Award for Sustained Excellence in Teaching is presented annually to the College of William and Mary professor that displays a strong commitment to the education of students and service to the College of William and Mary. The award is named after Thomas Ashley Graves, Jr., the 23rd President of the College of William and Mary. It is endowed by alumni and friends of the former president. The recipient of the award is chosen by the president of the College from nominations submitted by each of the academic deans.
Thomas Ashley Graves, Jr. Award for Sustained Excellence in Teaching Recipients
2008 - Deborah D. Morse, Professor (Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Department of English)
2009 - Thomas L. Heacox, Associate Professor (Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Department of English
2010 - Kathleen Slevin, Professor(Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Department of Sociology)
2011 - John Philip Kearns, Associate Professor (Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Department of Computer Science)
2011 - Lawrence King, Chancellor and EMBA Alumni Professor of Business (School of Business)
2012 - Nancy L. Gray, Associate Professor of English and Women's Studies
2013 - Lawrence Leemis, Mathematics professor and School of Education’s Megan Tschannen-Moran.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
References in the The Flat Hat, William & Mary News, and Alumni Gazette:
- First award given to Lewis W. Leadbeater AG, June 1986, pg. 1, 17.
- Awarded to John F. Lavach WMN 5/20/1987, pg. 1, 3 (picture).
- Awarded to John Lavach AG, June 1987, pg. 1, 11 (picture).
- John E. Donaldson is recipient of Graves Award WMN, 5/19/1988, pg. 8.
- Ludwell Johnson wins Graves Award WMN, 5/20/1992, pg. 6 (picture).
- David L. Holmes, Jr. wins Graves award WMN, 5/19/1993, pg. 5.
- David L. Holmes receives award AG, May/June 1993, pg. 2 (picture).
- Awarded to Carl Carlson WMN, 5/19/1994, pg. 5, 6 (picture).
- Law school graduation features variety of award presentations WMN, 5/19/1994, pg. 9.
- Awarded to Carl E. Carlson AG, June 1994, pg. 1, 5 (picture).
- Elsa Nettels receives award WMN, 5/16/1996, pg. 5 (picture).
- James Smith receives award WMN, 5/27/1999, pg. 7 (picture).
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|