The College and Slavery

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Revision as of 14:21, 7 December 2007 by Acschi (talk | contribs) (created draft)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Draft--version .1



Genovese, Eugene. Western Civilization Through Slaveholding Eyes: The Social and Historical Thought of Thomas Roderick Dew. New Orleans: The Graduate School of Tulane University, 1986.

Godson, Susan H et. al. The College of William & Mary: A History. 2 vols. Williamsburg: King and Queen Press, 1993.

Goodwin, W.A.R. Historical Sketch of Bruton Church, Williamsburg, Virginia. Bowie: Heritage Books, 1998. Originally published, 1903.

Greenberg, Kenneth S., ed. “Thomas R. Dew, ‘Abolition of Negro Slavery,’ September and December 1832.” The Confessions of Nat Turner and Related Documents. Boston: Bedford Books, 1996.

Hastings, Earl C. Jr. and David Hastings. A Pitiless Rain: The Battle of Williamsburg, 1862. Shippensburg: White Mane, 1997.

Haulman, Claude A. and William J. Hausman. “Political Economy at the College of William and Mary.” in Essays in Economic and Business History: volume VII, Selected papers, ed. Edwin J. Perkins. Los Angeles: History Department, University of Southern California, 1988.

Kornwulf, James. “So Good A Design”: The Colonial Campus of William and Mary, Its History, Background, and Legacy. Williamsburg: The College of William and Mary, 1989.

Morpurgo, J.E. Their Majesties’ Royall Colledge: William and Mary in the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries. Williamsburg: The Endowment Association of The College of William and Mary in Virginia, 1976.

Nichols, Michael. Aspects of the African American Experience in Eighteenth Century Williamsburg and Norfolk. Williamsburg: Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, 1990.

Osbourne, Ruby Orders. The Crisis Years: The College of William and Mary in Virginia, 1800-1827. Richmond: Dietz Press, 1989.

Tate, Thad. The Negro in Eighteenth-Century Williamsburg. Williamsburg: Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, 1972.

Van Horne, John C., ed. Religious Philanthropy and Colonial Slavery: The American Correspondence of the Associates of Dr. Bray, 1717-1777. Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 1985.

Articles, Journals, and Theses

Cota, Angela. “College’s Oldest Buildings likely Built by Slaves, Lecturer Says.” The Flat Hat. February 23, 2007.

Curtis, Christopher M. “Can These be the Sons of Their Fathers?: The Defense of Slavery in Virginia, 1831-1832.” MA Thesis, VA Tech, 1997.

Edwards-Ingram, Ywone. Master-Slave Relations: A Williamsburg Perspective. MA Thesis, College of William and Mary, 1990.

Hamilton, Phillip. “Revolutionary Principles and Family Loyalties: Slavery’s Transformation in the St. George Tucker Household of Early National Virginia.” William and Mary Quarterly Historical Magazine 3rd Series; 55:4 (Oct 1998): 531-556.

Holmes, George. “Professor John Millington, M.D. 1779-1868.” William and Mary Quarterly Historical Magazine, 2nd Series, 3:1 (January 1923): 23-35.

“Journal of the Meetings of the President and Masters of William and Mary College.” William and Mary Quarterly Historical Magazine 14:1 (July 1905).

Mansfield, Stephen S. “Thomas Roderick Dew: Defender of the Southern Faith.” Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Virginia, 1968.

Tarleton, Lavonne. “John Millington, Civil Engineer and Teacher, 1779-1868.” M.A. Thesis, The College of William and Mary, 1966.

Manuscripts and Archival Collections

“A List of Negroes at College, 1780.” Found in the University Archives Subject File Collection, "Slaves Owned by the College," Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, College of William and Mary.

Blair, James. Papers and Letters.

Blair, Banister, Braxton, Horner, Whiting Papers, 1760-1890. 01/Mss. 39.1 B58.

Bucktrout, Richard Manning. Daybook and Ledger, 1850-1866. 01/Mss. Acc. 1997.05.

Dew, Thomas Roderick., Papers and Letters, 1830-1967. 00/02/UA 2.05

Ewell, Benjamin, Papers and Letters.

“The Owl,” student newspaper/humor publication, January 1954. Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, College of William and Mary.

Morpurgo, Jack E. Papers, 1938-1974. 00/05/UA 5.011

“Papers relating to lands and slaves owned by the College of William and Mary.”

Archives Inventory, William and Mary College Papers, vol. 2. Folders 250-253.

“Transfer to the Faculty in Virginia, February 27, 1729,” at

Tucker, Nathaniel Beverly. Letters 1830-1903

Tucker, St. George. A Dissertation on Slavery: With a Proposal for the Gradual Abolition of it in the State of Virginia. Westport: Negro Universities Press, 1970.