The Brafferton, located on the south side of the Wren Yard and southeast of the Wren Building, was built in 1723 with funds left to the College by Robert Boyle. These funds came from the Brafferton Estate in England, where the building got its name. The Brafferton was originally used as an Indian School with the intent to educate and prepare Native American boys for the Anglican priesthood (an endeavor that met with little success). After the Revolutionary War, English funds ceased to come in and the school was closed. It was damaged during the American Civil War and the College spent $3,000 for repairs.
Throughout the years, the building also served as a residence for professors, a dormitory for students, an armory for the Wise Light Infantry, and an alumni office. Additionally, it has temporarily housed other offices, fine arts classes, and even the Music Department for a short period of time. Since 1985, the Brafferton has been the location of the President's Office and the Provost's Office.
- University Archives Buildings File (2007). Brafferton. Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia