Difference between revisions of "The Brafferton"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m
Line 1: Line 1:
__TOC__  [[image:Brafferton modern color.jpg|thumb|left| Brafferton 2008]]
+
__TOC__  [[image:Brafferton modern color.jpg|thumb|left| The Brafferton, 2008]]
  
'''The Brafferton''', located on the south side of the Wren Yard and southeast of the [[Wren Building]], was built in 1723 by the [[College of William and Mary]] with funds from the estate of English scientist Robert Boyle. These funds were profits from the Brafferton Estate in [[image:Brafferton_Southface_1907.jpg|right|thumb|Brafferton Building <p>Constructed: 1723</p>
+
'''The Brafferton''', located on the south side of the Wren Yard and southeast of the [[Wren Building]], was built in 1723 by the [[College of William and Mary]] with funds from the estate of English scientist Robert Boyle. These funds were profits from the Brafferton Estate in [[image:Brafferton_Southface_1907.jpg|right|thumb|The Brafferton <p>Constructed: 1723</p>
<p>Opened: 1723</p><p>Renovations: Civil War; 1905; 1931-1932</p><p>Named for: Brafferton Estate in Yorkshire, England</p><p>[http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=116+Jamestown+Rd,+Williamsburg,+VA+23185&sll=37.274206,-76.707401&sspn=0.010177,0.01457&layer=c&ie=UTF8&ll=37.272234,-76.707766&spn=0.005088,0.007285&z=17&cbll=37.270259,-76.708144&panoid=nnb2zWlRx4H68JnxQEzY_w&cbp=1,326.73014658924143,,0,16.76922228406101 Map it for me ]</p>]] Yorkshire, England, for which the building was named. The Brafferton was originally used as an [[Indian School]] with the intent to educate and prepare Native American boys for the Anglican priesthood (an endeavor that met with little success).  After the [[Revolutionary War]], English funds ceased to come in and the school was closed. It was damaged during the American [[Civil War]] and the College spent $3,000 for repairs. In 1865 it served as the office and quarters the commanding officer of the Union garrison in Williamsburg. In the spring of that year, the Brafferton was used as part of the Union defensive works after a raid of troops under John Singleton Mosby.
+
<p>Opened: 1723</p><p>Renovations: Civil War; 1905; 1931-1932</p><p>Named for: BThe rafferton Estate in Yorkshire, England</p><p>[http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=116+Jamestown+Rd,+Williamsburg,+VA+23185&sll=37.274206,-76.707401&sspn=0.010177,0.01457&layer=c&ie=UTF8&ll=37.272234,-76.707766&spn=0.005088,0.007285&z=17&cbll=37.270259,-76.708144&panoid=nnb2zWlRx4H68JnxQEzY_w&cbp=1,326.73014658924143,,0,16.76922228406101 Map it for me ]</p>]] Yorkshire, England, for which the building was named. The Brafferton was originally used as an [[Indian School]] with the intent to educate and prepare Native American boys for the Anglican priesthood (an endeavor that met with little success).  After the [[Revolutionary War]], English funds ceased to come in and the school was closed. It was damaged during the American [[Civil War]] and the College spent $3,000 for repairs. In 1865 it served as the office and quarters the commanding officer of the Union garrison in Williamsburg. In the spring of that year, the Brafferton was used as part of the Union defensive works after a raid of troops under John Singleton Mosby.
  
 
Throughout the years, the building also served as a residence for professors, a dormitory for students, an armory for the Wise Light Infantry, and an alumni office.  After having been closed for two years, it was renovated and reopened in 1905 as a senior dormitory. Hot and cold running water was installed for each room in 1912. In 1918 it became the headquarters for the Student's Army Training Corps.  Its use changed throughout the 1920s: Business Administration Office (1920), Dean's, Registrars, and College Physician's offices (1921), ''[[Flat Hat]]'' office (1922), President's and Treasurer's offices (1922). It was restored 1931-1932. Additionally, it has temporarily housed other offices, the Alumni Association, fine arts classes, and even the Music Department for a short period of time. Since 1985, the Brafferton has been the location of the President's Office and the Provost's Office.
 
Throughout the years, the building also served as a residence for professors, a dormitory for students, an armory for the Wise Light Infantry, and an alumni office.  After having been closed for two years, it was renovated and reopened in 1905 as a senior dormitory. Hot and cold running water was installed for each room in 1912. In 1918 it became the headquarters for the Student's Army Training Corps.  Its use changed throughout the 1920s: Business Administration Office (1920), Dean's, Registrars, and College Physician's offices (1921), ''[[Flat Hat]]'' office (1922), President's and Treasurer's offices (1922). It was restored 1931-1932. Additionally, it has temporarily housed other offices, the Alumni Association, fine arts classes, and even the Music Department for a short period of time. Since 1985, the Brafferton has been the location of the President's Office and the Provost's Office.

Revision as of 23:31, 8 February 2009

The Brafferton, 2008
The Brafferton, located on the south side of the Wren Yard and southeast of the Wren Building, was built in 1723 by the College of William and Mary with funds from the estate of English scientist Robert Boyle. These funds were profits from the Brafferton Estate in
The Brafferton

Constructed: 1723

Opened: 1723

Renovations: Civil War; 1905; 1931-1932

Named for: BThe rafferton Estate in Yorkshire, England

Map it for me

Yorkshire, England, for which the building was named. The Brafferton was originally used as an Indian School with the intent to educate and prepare Native American boys for the Anglican priesthood (an endeavor that met with little success). After the Revolutionary War, English funds ceased to come in and the school was closed. It was damaged during the American Civil War and the College spent $3,000 for repairs. In 1865 it served as the office and quarters the commanding officer of the Union garrison in Williamsburg. In the spring of that year, the Brafferton was used as part of the Union defensive works after a raid of troops under John Singleton Mosby.

Throughout the years, the building also served as a residence for professors, a dormitory for students, an armory for the Wise Light Infantry, and an alumni office. After having been closed for two years, it was renovated and reopened in 1905 as a senior dormitory. Hot and cold running water was installed for each room in 1912. In 1918 it became the headquarters for the Student's Army Training Corps. Its use changed throughout the 1920s: Business Administration Office (1920), Dean's, Registrars, and College Physician's offices (1921), Flat Hat office (1922), President's and Treasurer's offices (1922). It was restored 1931-1932. Additionally, it has temporarily housed other offices, the Alumni Association, fine arts classes, and even the Music Department for a short period of time. Since 1985, the Brafferton has been the location of the President's Office and the Provost's Office.

Photographs

See the Special Collections Research Center Database for collections including the University Archives Photograph Collection and many others.

1895 Catalog, p. 39

1899 Colonial Echo, P. 9

1901 Colonial Echo, p. 68

1902 Colonial Echo, P. 15, 19

1903 Colonial Echo, p. 112

1906 Catalog, P. 34 (new porch)

1906 Colonial Echo, P. 17, 157

1907 Colonial Echo, P. 7

1908 Colonial Echo, P. 13

1910 Colonial Echo, p. 14

1922 Colonial echo, p. 22

1924 Colonial Echo, p. 19

1926 Colonial Echo, p. 19

In the News

References

  • Brafferton, University Archives Buildings File (2007), Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.

External Links