The Brafferton,105 Jamestown Road, located on the south side of the Wren Yard and southeast of the Wren Building, was built in 1723 by the College of William and Mary with funds from the estate of English scientist Robert Boyle. These funds were profits from the Brafferton Estate in
Yorkshire, England, for which the building was named. The Brafferton was originally used as an Indian School with the intent to educate and prepare Native American boys for the Anglican priesthood (an endeavor that met with little success). After the Revolutionary War, English funds ceased to come in and the school was closed. It was damaged during the American Civil War and the College spent $3,000 for repairs. In 1865 it served as the office and quarters the commanding officer of the Union garrison in Williamsburg. In the spring of that year, the Brafferton was used as part of the Union defensive works after a raid of troops under John Singleton Mosby.
Throughout the years, the building also served as a residence for professors, a dormitory for students, an armory for the Wise Light Infantry, and an alumni office. After having been closed for two years, it was renovated and reopened in 1905 as a senior dormitory. Hot and cold running water was installed for each room in 1912. In 1918 it became the headquarters for the Students' Army Training Corps. Its use changed throughout the 1920s: Business Administration Office (1920), Dean's, Registrars, and College Physician's offices (1921), Flat Hat office (1922), President's and Treasurer's offices (1922). It was restored 1931-1932. Additionally, it has temporarily housed other offices, the Alumni Association, fine arts classes, and even the Music Department for a short period of time. Since 1985, the Brafferton has been the location of the President's Office and the Provost's Office.
In 2012 a 13 month renovation project began on the Brafferton including installation of a new heating, ventilating, and air conditioning system and new plumbing. Safety measures include installing smoke detection and sprinkler systems and emergency lighting, as well as removing asbestos or other hazardous materials. Externally, the brick walls, the most substantially original of the College's three colonial buildings, were repointed, cleaned and repaired. The 1932 terra cotta roof tiles were replaced. The staff moved back into the Brafferton by the start of Fall 2013 classes.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- "So good a work" : the Brafferton school, 1691-1777, Karen A. Stuart, MA Thesis, 1984. Swem stacks, Archives book collections: LD6051 .W5m Hist., 1984, S78 (available for interlibrary loan requests).
- See the Special Collections Research Center Database for collections including the University Archives Photograph Collection and many others.
- Catalog, 1895 p. 39; 1906 p. 34 (new porch)
- Colonial Echo, 1899 p. 9; 1901 p. 68; 1902 p. 15, 19; 1903 p. 112; 1906 p.17, 157; 1907 p. 7; 1908 p. 13; 1910 p. 14; 1922 p. 22; 1924 p. 19; 1926 p. 19; etc.
In the News
- W & M's Brafferton is now offices, Daily Press 2 May 2008.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's access tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|