Difference between revisions of "Tau Chi Literary Society"
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
The '''Tau Chi Literary Society''' existed at
The '''Tau Chi Literary Society''' existed at [[William Mary]] from 1839 to 1850 with anywhere from 5 to 20 student members active at any one time. The society held weekly meetings where they read personal compositions, planned public speeches, and conducted debates. The organization’s motto, roughly translated, was "Any circle of brothers will make room for one another."
(Provided by class, 4/9/2010)
(Provided by class, 4/9/2010)
Latest revision as of 16:51, 9 September 2019
The Tau Chi Literary Society existed at William & Mary from 1839 to 1850 with anywhere from 5 to 20 student members active at any one time. The society held weekly meetings where they read personal compositions, planned public speeches, and conducted debates. The organization’s motto, roughly translated, was "Any circle of brothers will make room for one another." (Provided by class, 4/9/2010)
Evidence of their activities remaining in the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library include their ceremonial smoking pot, orations, a program from their ceremony marking the anniversary of the granting of the College of William and Mary's charter on February 8, 1693, and other material. While the precise use of the smoking pot is uncertain, we know that it was used when the group met on ceremonial occasions. It has 12 fittings for pipe stems to be inserted into the pot and it is believed that was in keeping with the number of their members.
The original constitution of the Tau Chi Society required each member to wear a golden “badge.” The “TX” on the pin represented the name Tau Chi, the imagery of the book and sword represented scholarship, and the twenty stars represented the maximum number of members in the society.
The Special Collections Research Center's holdings include one box of records and a ceremonial smoking pot from Tau Chi. While nothing is known about the actual use of the pot, it is presumed that the society used it during their ceremonies. There are twelve outlets for pipe stems and the bowl itself is red unglazed earthenware made by slip casting. An October 31, 1844, record from the minute book of the Tau Chi Literary Society documents the acquisition of this object as a gift: “Under the head of Motion Mr. Wiley presented to the society, on behalf of a brother TX - Robert Ould Esq. of Georgetown, D.C. – a large and curious smoking pipe.”
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- Guide for doing research related to the College of William & Mary
- Tau Chi Literary Society in the SCRC database.
- Minute book, 1842-1848 in the Tucker-Coleman Papers (Mss. 40 T79, Box 1 Section II)
- University Archives Artifact Collection: Ceremonial smoking pot, 1844 (Acc. 1980.105) and Tau Chi Pin, 1843. (Acc. 1989.026)
- George Fisher Harrison Papers
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|