Difference between revisions of "Tappahannock Extension Division"
m (Text replacement - "[[Category:College of William and Mary" to "[[Category:William & Mary")
|Line 22:||Line 22:|
[[Category:William Mary Academic Department]][[Category:William Mary Associated and Branch Campuses]][[Category:Ref]][[Category:College Stub]]
Latest revision as of 16:03, 9 September 2019
The Tappahannock Extension Division was one of several extensions of the College of William and Mary in the 20th century.
In the late 1920s-1930, extension courses were offered in eleven different communities by the College of William and Mary with the highest numbers of students in Norfolk, Richmond, Newport News and Hampton. Extension enrollments offered by the College reached a peak of 1,980 during the 1931-1932 session. In that year, 1,682 students were enrolled at the College in Williamsburg. (Godson, et. al, p. 574)
The 1932-1933 catalog lists a few professors, 23 students and this brief paragraph: "The Tappahannock extension division of the College has given a regular freshman course this year. Classes have met three days a week, beginning at 9:00 A.M."
The 1933-1934 catalog lists 29 students and the professors teaching English, History, Math, Biology, Government, French and this paragraph: "The Tappahannock extension division of the College has given regular freshman and sophomore courses this year. Classes have met four days a week, beginning at 9:00 A.M."
The 1934-1935 catalog lists 12 students and the professors teaching English, Math, Biology and French.
In the description of Extension classes it states courses are usually taught in public school buildings except Norfolk and Richmond where the college had its own buildings.
No reference to Tappahannock appears in catalogs after 1935.
- 1932-1933 catalog on page 274, 1933-1934 catalog on page 257-258, and 1934-1935 catalog on page 222.
- The College of William and Mary : a history Godson, Susan H. Godson, Ludwell H. Johnson, Richard B. Sherman, Thad W. Tate, Helen C. Walker, Williamsburg, Va. : King and Queen Press, Society of the Alumni, College of William and Mary in Virginia, 1993. Copies are available in the SCRC and Swem Library's stacks and Virginia Reference sections. LD6051 .W52 C65 1993
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|