Difference between revisions of "Taliaferro Hall"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
'''Taliaferro Hall''' is a dormitory located on Jamestown Road between the [[Campus Center]] and the former [[Bookstore]] (that became the [[Admissions Office]] in 2007).
+
'''Taliaferro Hall''' is a dormitory located on Jamestown Road between the [[Campus Center]] and the former [[Bookstore]] (that became the [[Admissions Office]] in 2007). [[image:Taliaferro Hall.jpg|right|thumb| Taliaferro Hall, east facade facing Campus Center,undated]]
  
 
The building has served as a dormitory, bookstore, and tea room since its completion in June 1935.  Plans for the building were first presented to the Board of Visitors in 1931, who approved of the plans and accepted a bid from J.W. Davis of Newport News for $62,810.  The architect hired to design the building was J. Binford Walford. In 1934, the contract for the project was awarded to Peters Construction Co. of Newport News. The construction of the building was made possible by a Public Works Administration (PWA) grant and loan of $650,000. In keeping with tradition, the building was designed to mimic the Georgian architecture of its neighboring structures.  It replaced the Taliaferro Building and served as a men's dormitory, but in 1978, it became the first co-ed freshman dormitory.  The building can house up to 60 students. In 1986-1988, Taliaferro Hall housed freshmen designated as Presidential Scholars.  
 
The building has served as a dormitory, bookstore, and tea room since its completion in June 1935.  Plans for the building were first presented to the Board of Visitors in 1931, who approved of the plans and accepted a bid from J.W. Davis of Newport News for $62,810.  The architect hired to design the building was J. Binford Walford. In 1934, the contract for the project was awarded to Peters Construction Co. of Newport News. The construction of the building was made possible by a Public Works Administration (PWA) grant and loan of $650,000. In keeping with tradition, the building was designed to mimic the Georgian architecture of its neighboring structures.  It replaced the Taliaferro Building and served as a men's dormitory, but in 1978, it became the first co-ed freshman dormitory.  The building can house up to 60 students. In 1986-1988, Taliaferro Hall housed freshmen designated as Presidential Scholars.  

Revision as of 11:04, 19 August 2008

Taliaferro Hall is a dormitory located on Jamestown Road between the Campus Center and the former Bookstore (that became the Admissions Office in 2007).
Taliaferro Hall, east facade facing Campus Center,undated

The building has served as a dormitory, bookstore, and tea room since its completion in June 1935. Plans for the building were first presented to the Board of Visitors in 1931, who approved of the plans and accepted a bid from J.W. Davis of Newport News for $62,810. The architect hired to design the building was J. Binford Walford. In 1934, the contract for the project was awarded to Peters Construction Co. of Newport News. The construction of the building was made possible by a Public Works Administration (PWA) grant and loan of $650,000. In keeping with tradition, the building was designed to mimic the Georgian architecture of its neighboring structures. It replaced the Taliaferro Building and served as a men's dormitory, but in 1978, it became the first co-ed freshman dormitory. The building can house up to 60 students. In 1986-1988, Taliaferro Hall housed freshmen designated as Presidential Scholars.

References

  • University Archives Buildings File (2007), Taliaferro Hall, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.