Difference between revisions of "Taliaferro Hall"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m
m (Text replacement - "[[Category:College of William and Mary" to "[[Category:William & Mary")
 
(One intermediate revision by one other user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
'''Taliaferro Hall''' is a dormitory located on Jamestown Road between the [[Campus Center]] and the former [[Bookstore]] (that became the [[Admissions Office]] in 2007). [[image:Taliaferro Hall.jpg|right|thumb| Taliaferro Hall, east facade facing Campus Center,undated<p>Constructed:  1934-1935</p><p>Opened:  1935</p><p>[http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=178+Jamestown+Rd+Williamsburg,+VA&sll=37.27337,-76.708174&sspn=0.006932,0.012531&ie=UTF8&ll=37.272943,-76.70826&spn=0.006933,0.012531&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr Map it for Me]</p>]]
+
'''Taliaferro Hall''' is a [[College of William and Mary]] dormitory located on Jamestown Road between the [[Campus Center]] and the former [[Bookstore]] (that became the [[Admissions Office]] in 2007). [[image:Taliaferro Hall.jpg|right|thumb| Taliaferro Hall, east facade facing Campus Center,undated<p>Constructed:  1934-1935</p><p>Opened:  1935</p><p>[http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=178+Jamestown+Rd+Williamsburg,+VA&sll=37.27337,-76.708174&sspn=0.006932,0.012531&ie=UTF8&ll=37.272943,-76.70826&spn=0.006933,0.012531&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr Map it for Me]</p>]]
  
The building has served as a dormitory, bookstore, and tea room since its completion in June 1935.  Plans for the building were first presented to the Board of Visitors in 1931, who approved of the plans and accepted a bid from J.W. Davis of Newport News for $62,810.  The architect hired to design the building was J. Binford Walford. In 1934, the contract for the project was awarded to Peters Construction Co. of Newport News. The construction of the building was made possible by a Public Works Administration (PWA) grant and loan of $650,000. In keeping with tradition, the building was designed to mimic the Georgian architecture of its neighboring structures.  It replaced the Taliaferro Building and served as a men's dormitory, but in 1978, it became the first co-ed freshman dormitory.  The building can house up to 60 students. In 1986-1988, Taliaferro Hall housed freshmen designated as Presidential Scholars.  
+
The building has served as a dormitory, bookstore, and tea room since its completion in June 1935.  Plans for the building were first presented to the [[Board of Visitors]] in 1931, who approved of the plans and accepted a bid from J.W. Davis of Newport News for $62,810.  The architect hired to design the building was J. Binford Walford. In 1934, the contract for the project was awarded to Peters Construction Co. of Newport News. The construction of the building was made possible by a Public Works Administration (PWA) grant and loan of $650,000. In keeping with tradition, the building was designed to mimic the Georgian architecture of its neighboring structures.  It replaced the Taliaferro Building and served as a men's dormitory, but in 1978, it became the first co-ed freshman dormitory.  The building can house up to 60 students. In 1986-1988, Taliaferro Hall housed freshmen designated as Presidential Scholars.  
  
 
==References==
 
==References==
 
*University Archives Buildings File (2007),  ''Taliaferro Hall'', Special Collections Research Center,  Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
 
*University Archives Buildings File (2007),  ''Taliaferro Hall'', Special Collections Research Center,  Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
  
==Need help?== 
+
{{helpmsg}}
To search for further material, see [http://swem.wm.edu/scrc/Tools.cfm Finding Materials in the SCRC] for an introduction to the [http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/ SCRC Collections Database], card catalogs, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, etc. 
+
{{infodisclaimer}}
 
+
[[Category:William & Mary Buildings]]
Questions? Contact the SCRC at spcoll@wm.edu or 221-3090, or visit the [http://swem.wm.edu/scrc/ Special Collections Research Center] in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary ([http://www.swem.wm.edu/scrc hours]).
 
 
 
{| border="1" class="wikitable" style="margin: 1em auto 1em auto"
 
|-
 
! style="background:#228844" |A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
 
|-
 
| |Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's [http://swem.wm.edu/scrc/Tools.cfm access tools] for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.
 
|}
 
 
 
[[Category:College of William and Mary Buildings]]
 

Latest revision as of 16:03, 9 September 2019

Taliaferro Hall is a College of William and Mary dormitory located on Jamestown Road between the Campus Center and the former Bookstore (that became the Admissions Office in 2007).
Taliaferro Hall, east facade facing Campus Center,undated

Constructed: 1934-1935

Opened: 1935

Map it for Me

The building has served as a dormitory, bookstore, and tea room since its completion in June 1935. Plans for the building were first presented to the Board of Visitors in 1931, who approved of the plans and accepted a bid from J.W. Davis of Newport News for $62,810. The architect hired to design the building was J. Binford Walford. In 1934, the contract for the project was awarded to Peters Construction Co. of Newport News. The construction of the building was made possible by a Public Works Administration (PWA) grant and loan of $650,000. In keeping with tradition, the building was designed to mimic the Georgian architecture of its neighboring structures. It replaced the Taliaferro Building and served as a men's dormitory, but in 1978, it became the first co-ed freshman dormitory. The building can house up to 60 students. In 1986-1988, Taliaferro Hall housed freshmen designated as Presidential Scholars.

References

  • University Archives Buildings File (2007), Taliaferro Hall, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.


Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.