Difference between revisions of "Students' Army Training Corps"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m
m (Text replacement - "William and Mary" to "William & Mary")
 
Line 1: Line 1:
The '''Students' Army Training Corps''' was a national organization located on the campuses of colleges and universities throughout the country, with the goal of developing new personnel for the Army. Through the Students' Army Training Corps (SATC) based at [[William and Mary]], male students could enlist in the military and still attend college with government-paid tuition. The Corps became such a central feature on campus that it became common for an Army bugle to signal the end of classes. Founded in the fall of 1918, their headquarters was in the [[Brafferton]] and their armory was in the [[Old Gymnasium]]. The SATC was disbanded at the end of the fall semester of 1918, after Armistice Day.
+
The '''Students' Army Training Corps''' was a national organization located on the campuses of colleges and universities throughout the country, with the goal of developing new personnel for the Army. Through the Students' Army Training Corps (SATC) based at [[William & Mary]], male students could enlist in the military and still attend college with government-paid tuition. The Corps became such a central feature on campus that it became common for an Army bugle to signal the end of classes. Founded in the fall of 1918, their headquarters was in the [[Brafferton]] and their armory was in the [[Old Gymnasium]]. The SATC was disbanded at the end of the fall semester of 1918, after Armistice Day.
  
 
==Material in the Special Collections Research Center==
 
==Material in the Special Collections Research Center==

Latest revision as of 16:17, 9 September 2019

The Students' Army Training Corps was a national organization located on the campuses of colleges and universities throughout the country, with the goal of developing new personnel for the Army. Through the Students' Army Training Corps (SATC) based at William & Mary, male students could enlist in the military and still attend college with government-paid tuition. The Corps became such a central feature on campus that it became common for an Army bugle to signal the end of classes. Founded in the fall of 1918, their headquarters was in the Brafferton and their armory was in the Old Gymnasium. The SATC was disbanded at the end of the fall semester of 1918, after Armistice Day.

Material in the Special Collections Research Center

References


Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.