Location: Southwest corner of College Yard(This is the area surrounded by the Wren Building, Brafferton, and President’s House)
1851--Steward's House erected and paid out of Capital $661.00 on October 27, and on October 28, paid out $1046.25 (Bursar's Book, 1850-1875, p. 14; College Papers, Folder 224)
1856--"Resolved that the Steward be allowed the use of the Steward's House free of rent and that he be required to furnish students with board and washing at the rate of $115.00 per session." (Faculty Meeting, June 17, 1856.)
1859--"Prof. Morrison applied to rent the house formerly occupied by the Steward, and the proposal was acceded to by the Faculty." (Faculty Meeting, July 12, 1859)
1860--"The former Steward's House has also been remodeled and repaired at a cost of about two hundred and fifty dollars, and furnishes now an additional residence for a Professor upon the Grounds." (Catalog) 1859-60, p. 17; Goodwin notes, p. 559)
1861 "The Steward's House has been filled with convalescent soldiers as boarders..." (BofV minutes, Oct. 8, 1861, p. 21)
c.1863--Frame house occupied by the late Professor R.J. Morrison was burned, valued at $2000. (only house mentioned other than outbuildings and Presidents House and Brafferton) (BofV, July 5, 1865, p. 189.)
NOTE: Two dwellings, apparently of lesser value, owned by the College also destroyed during the war. Mentioned by President Ewell in memorials to Congress. (College Papers, folder 19) but not in Board or Faculty Minutes. Could be brick kitchens of Brafferton and President's House. 2nd professor's house "partly pulled to pieces."