Difference between revisions of "Steward's House"
m (Text replacement - "[[Category:College of William and Mary" to "[[Category:William & Mary")
|Line 25:||Line 25:|
[[Category:William Mary Buildings]][[Category:William Mary Buildings Past]]
Revision as of 15:08, 9 September 2019
1851--Steward's House erected and paid out of Capital fund: $661.00 on October 27 and $1046.25 on October 28(Bursar's Book, 1850-1875, p. 14; College Papers, Folder 224).
1856--"Resolved that the Steward be allowed the use of the Steward's House free of rent and that he be required to furnish students with board and washing at the rate of $115.00 per session." (Faculty Meeting, June 17, 1856.)
1859--"Prof. Morrison applied to rent the house formerly occupied by the Steward, and the proposal was acceded to by the Faculty." (Faculty Meeting, July 12, 1859)
1860--"The former Steward's House has also been remodeled and repaired at a cost of about two hundred and fifty dollars, and furnishes now an additional residence for a Professor upon the Grounds." (Catalog, 1859-60, p. 17; Goodwin notes, p. 559)
1861 "The Steward's House has been filled with convalescent soldiers as boarders..." (Board of Visitors minutes, Oct. 8, 1861, p. 21)
c.1863--Frame house occupied by the late Professor R.J. Morrison was burned, valued at $2000. (only house mentioned other than outbuildings and President's House and Brafferton) (Board of Visitors, July 5, 1865, p. 189.)
NOTE: Two dwellings, apparently of lesser value, owned by the College also destroyed during the Civil War. Mentioned by President Benjamin S. Ewell in memorials to Congress. (College Papers, folder 19) but not in Board or Faculty Minutes. Could be brick kitchens of Brafferton and President's House. 2nd professor's house "partly pulled to pieces."
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|