The Science Hall was located northwest of the Wren Building. The Board of Visitors decided in 1901 that they did not have adequate funding to construct a Science Hall for the College of William and Mary. President Tyler suggested that the College use the Blodgett legacy (of Earl Walter Blodgett) as a basis for the fund to erect the Science Hall and added that it should be named Blodgett Hall in his honor. Tyler began fundraising that year for the Science Hall's construction.
A committee was organized in 1903 to consider plans for the erection of the Science Hall and another committee was appointed by the Board of Visitors to secure plans and estimates for its construction (not to exceed $10,000) in 1904. That same year, the Alumni Association initiated a campaign for the "Science Hall Fund of William and Mary College." The plans and specifications for the building were approved in March 1905 and a committee was authorized to close a contract with R.H. Richardson and Son for construction of the Science Hall. The contract was signed on May 2, 1905 and Finlay F. Ferguson and Charles J. Calrow were hired as architects for the building. The building was completed by December 1905 at a total cost of $13,720. The dedication and opening ceremonies for the Science Hall were held on April 27, 1906.
A faculty room, the Registrar’s office, and a lecture room for American History and Politics were added to the Science Hall in 1909. An ornamental drinking fountain was installed in front of the Science Hall in 1912. A Tirril Gasoline Gas plant was installed in the basement of the building in 1917 to supply gas for burners in laboratories.
The Science Hall was renamed Ewell Hall Dormitory after Ewell was torn down in the summer of 1927. The building now housed the Departments of Biology and Home Economics as well as the science lecture rooms and laboratories (with the exception of chemistry). The Physics and Chemistry Departments moved to Rogers Hall in 1928 and Biology moved to Washington Hall in 1929. The Departments of Home Economics and Music moved into Ewell Hall that same year.
Charles M. Robinson, the College Architect at the time, described the Science Hall's appearance in the following way (circa 1927) "While it is laid in Flemish bond, the brickwork is fiery red in color, and is out of harmony with all else on campus."
The Science Hall held classes for Home Economics and Music as well as classes for shorthand and typing during 1930 and 1931. The building was torn down in the fall of 1932.
- University Archives Buildings File (2007), Science Hall, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.