Robert Morton Hughes

From Special Collections Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Robert Morton Hughes was an alumnus of the College of William and Mary (1870-1873) and also attended the University of Virginia Law School. He was the son of Robert William and Eliza M. (Johnston) Hughes. He practiced law in Norfolk, Virginia. Hughes was the president of the Virginia Bar Association; biographer of Joseph Eggleston Johnston.

Hughes entered the College of William and Mary in 1870 at the age of 15 and graduated with an A. B. degree in 1873. His association with William and Mary continued for the rest of his life. Hughes was president of the Alumni Association for 1892-1893, and served on the Board of Visitors from 1893 to 1918 and was rector from 1905 to 1918. In 1920 the College awarded him an honorary doctor of laws degree. In 1933, Hughes was the commencement speaker. Washington & Lee University awarded him an honorary doctorate of laws degree in 1926. Hughes was a member of the Virginia State Board of Education from 1930-1935. For his part in establishing what became Old Dominion University, in 1959, the Robert M. Hughes Memorial Library was named for him.

Material in the Special Collections Research Center

References

  • SCRC File.


Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.