Tyler Hall, now known as the Wendy and Emery Reves Center for International Studies, was built in 1916 across Jamestown Road from the main campus of the College of William and Mary as a dormatory. It was named in honor of college president Lyon Gardiner Tyler.
A temporary annex was added to the building in 1920 to house Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority but after it was damaged in the fire that broke out in the Penniman Building in 1925, it was torn down in 1927. In 1926, The Board of Visitors approved the construction of the Miriam Robinson Memorial Conservatory, a greenhouse named in honor of the daughter of college architect Chalres M. Robinson. The greenhouse stood on the north end of Tyler Hall facing Jamestown Road until it was removed in 1957. In 1943, the U.S. Army seized Tyler Hall as a barracks for 116 soldiers who were a part of the Army Specialized Training Unit.
In 1981, the college adminstration decided against using Tyler as a dorm. Renovations to the building were deeemd too expensive and it was used for storage until 1985, when plans for the creation of the International House of Studies gave Tyler new life. In 1989, a $1.89 million renovation transformed Tyler Hall into the Wendy and Emery Reves Center for International Studies.
NOTE: Following the transformation, Chancellors Hall became Tyler Hall, which currently houses the business school. Present day Tyler Hall is located along the north side of the Sunken Gardens between James Blair Hall and Tucker Hall.
- University Archives Buildings File (2007). Tyler Hall. Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia