See Chancellors Hall for the current Tyler Hall
Tyler Hall, now known as the Wendy and Emery Reves Center for International Studies, was built in 1916 across Jamestown Road from the main campus of the College of William and Mary as a dormatory. It was named in honor of College President Lyon Gardiner Tyler.
Materials from the Penniman complex were used for the Tyler Annex, a women's dorm built in 1920. It was torn down after it was damaged in the fire that broke out in the Penniman Building in 1925. In 1926, The Board of Visitors approved the construction of the Miriam Robinson Memorial Conservatory, a greenhouse named in honor of the daughter of college architect Charles M. Robinson. The greenhouse stood on the north end of Tyler Hall facing Jamestown Road until it was removed in 1957. In 1927 an extension to Tyler Hall was built to house Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority.
In 1943, the U.S. Army seized Tyler Hall as a barracks for 116 soldiers who were a part of the Army Specialized Training Unit. The army initiated minor interior renovations.
In 1951 $50,000 in renovations were completed.
In 1981, the college administration decided against using Tyler as a dorm. Renovations to the building were deemed too expensive and it was used for storage until 1985, when plans for the creation of the International House of Studies gave Tyler new life. In 1989, a $1.89 million renovation transformed Tyler Hall into the Wendy and Emery Reves Center for International Studies.
NOTE: Following the transformation, Chancellors Hall became Tyler Hall, which currently houses the business school. Present day Tyler Hall is located along the north side of the Sunken Gardens between James Blair Hall and Tucker Hall.
FH, 11/1/85, p. 1, 4
FH, 9/4/87, p. 3
P80.124a parts 1-3
In Miriam Bright Photographs – Archives Acc. 1985.22
In Thomas G. Pullen Scrapbook – Archives Acc. 1983.82
- University Archives Buildings File (2007), Tyler Hall, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.