Difference between revisions of "Reves Center"
m (Text replacement - "[[Category:College of William and Mary" to "[[Category:William & Mary")
|Line 268:||Line 268:|
[[Category:Archon done]][[Category:William Mary Buildings]] [[Category:Repair]]
Latest revision as of 16:05, 9 September 2019
The then Tyler Hall, now known as the Wendy and Emery Reves Center for International Studies, 200 South Boundary Street, was built in 1916 across Jamestown Road from the main campus of the College of William and Mary as a dormitory. It was named in honor of College President Lyon Gardiner Tyler.
Materials from the Penniman complex were used for the Tyler Annex, a women's dorm built in 1920. It was torn down after it was damaged in the fire that broke out in the Penniman Building in 1925. In 1926, the Board of Visitors approved the construction of the Miriam Robinson Memorial Conservatory, a greenhouse named in honor of the daughter of college architect Charles M. Robinson. The greenhouse stood on the south end of Tyler Hall facing Jamestown Road until it was removed in 1957. In 1927 an extension to Tyler Hall was built to house Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority.
In 1943, the U.S. Army seized Tyler Hall as a barracks for 116 soldiers who were a part of the Army Specialized Training Unit. The army initiated minor interior renovations.
In 1951, $50,000 in renovations were completed.
In 1981, the college administration decided against using Tyler as a dorm. Renovations to the building were deemed too expensive and it was used for storage until 1985, when plans for the creation of the International House of Studies gave Tyler new life. In 1989, a $1.89 million renovation transformed the former Tyler Hall into the Wendy and Emery Reves Center for International Studies.
The former Rogers Hall (1927) and Chancellors Hall was rededicated as Tyler Hall in 1988. Present day Tyler Hall is located along the north side of the Sunken Gardens between James Blair Hall and Tucker Hall.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
William & Mary Publications
The Flat Hat is available online. The William & Mary News and the Alumni Gazette are available in Swem Library.
- East Asia Conference WMN, 7/13/1988, 8.
- Calendar of Events FH, 9/23/1988, 5.
- Upcoming Events FH, 9/30/1988, 5.
- Conference on International Education Initiatives to be Held WMN, 11/30/1988, 6.
- Living in Reves FH, 12/9/1988, 7.
- Soviet Students Visit Campus WMN, 1/25/1989, 1 (picture).
- Calendar of Events FH, 1/27/1989, 3, 8.
- Soviet High School Students Include College in American Visit FH, 1/27/1989, 13, 18.
- Center to Share in Gift from Mr. and Mrs. Frank Shatz WMN, 2/15/1989, 3.
- Announcement Programs FH, 3/31/1989, 9.
- Reves Center Dedication WMN, 4/5/1989, 1.
- Mrs. Reves to Open International Center WMN, 4/12/1989, 1, 2 (picture).
- Is Dedicated, Governor Lauds Moyers Lectures WMN, 4/19/1989, 4, 5 (picture).
- Graves and Mr. and Mrs. Shatz Honored at International Dinner WMN, 4/26/1989, 3 (picture).
- Transcript Being Prepared for Bill Moyers Speech WMN, 4/26/1989, 3.
- Dedicated: Dignitaries Appear and Baliles Promotes FH, 4/21/1989, 1, 6 (pictures).
- Moyers Speaks at College FH, 4/21/1989, 5 (picture).
- College Dedicates Reves Center AG, May 1989, 1 (picture).
- Reves Center Contributes to International Understanding AG, May 1989, 9 (picture).
- A Journalist (Bill Moyers) Looks at the Politics of Peace AG, Summer 1989, 7-11 (pictures).
- Business Students Spend Summer Studying in Denmark WMN, 8/30/1989, 4.
- Calendar of Events FH, 9/15/1989, 8.
- Gift to Fund Dr. William and Annie Bickers Professorship in Middle Eastern Studies WMN, 9/27/1989, 1 (picture).
- Alumna Helen Kennedy Makes $500,000 Bequest AG, Oct. 1989, 24.
- Palaez to Give Aquino Lecture WMN, 10/4/1989, 3.
- Kennedy Bequest Will Support International Study, WMN, 10/11/1989, 1.
- Study Abroad Fair FH, 10/20/1989, 9.
- Calendar of Events FH, 11/3/1989, 8.
- Calendar of Events FH, 11/17/1989, 8.
- Spring 1990 Calendar of Events FH, 1/19/1990, 5.
- Manfred Halpern to Give George Taylor Ross Lecture WMN, 1/24/1990, 1.
- Wendy Reves Gives Van to College WMN, 1/24/1990, 4.
- Spring 1990 Calendar of Events FH, 1/26/1990, 6.
- Study Abroad Information FH, 2/2/1990, 14.
- Wayne Patterson to Speak on Post-War Korea WMN, 2/14/1990, 2.
- Martin Weinstein to Speak on “U.S. and Japan: Rivals or Allies” WMN, 3/21/1990, 4.
- Abdul Babu Recent Speaker at Reves Center WMN, 5/2/1990, 7.
- Third Commonwealth Seminar to Focus on Europe WMN, 5/2/1990, 7.
- Learning Place: William and Mary’s International Studies Program AG, Summer 1990, 30-32 (picture).
- International Visitors Attend Seminar ‘Regionalism and American Culture’ WMN, 9/19/1990, 1, 6.
- Asbestos Removal Continues WMN, 9/26/1990, 1, 6.
- Plans Coffee Hours WMN, 9/26/1990, 3.
- Calendar of Events FH, 10/5/1990, 10.
- CaMU Presentations FH, 10/5/1990, 11.
- Co-Sponsors Talk by Robert H. W. Reece FH, 10/4/1991, 8.
- Reves Center Plans Coffee Hour Program WMN, 10/16/1991, 6.
- Co-Sponsors Talk by Angelica Gorodischer, Latin American Writer WMN, 10/23/1991, 3.
- See the World for Three Credits FH, 10/25/1991, 9.
- Global Style at Reves Center FH, 11/15/1991, 5.
- Collegewide Farewell Reception to be Held WMN, 1/15/1992, 1.
- UN Day Program Set WMN, 10/17/1990, 1.
- Study Abroad Fair FH, 10/26/1990, 2.
- Center Announces Korean Film Festival WMN, 11/7/1990, 3.
- Reves Initiates Program; Soviet Professor Named First Diplomat-in-Residence FH, 11/16/1990, 3.
- Soviet Professor Boris Shmelev First Reves Diplomat-in-Residence WMN, 11/28/1990, 4 (picture).
- Soviet Abroad Program Scheduled FH, 2/8/1991, 6.
- Patrick Hayes Gives Statue to Reves Center WMN, 2/20/1991, 1.
- Summer in Moscow FH, 2/22/1991, 15.
- Week Focuses on Culture FH, 3/15/1991, 6.
- Study Abroad Programs FH, 3/15/1991, 6.
- Korean Ambassador Hong-Chao Hyun to be Keynote Speaker for Symposium WMN, 3/20/1991, 1.
- Economic Community Head Andreas Van Agt Speaks on the Future of European Unity FH, 3/22/1991, 2 (picture).
- Ambassador Hong-Choo Hyun to Speak at Seminar FH, 3/29/1991, 4.
- Hayes Gift of ‘Frog Baby’ Recognized WMN, 4/17/1991, 6 (picture).
- Host Families Sought for Japanese Students WMN, 7/17/1991, 3.
- East Asian Studies: Taking the Mystery Out of the Orient AG, Summer 1991, 7, 8 (picture).
- Co-Sponsors College Participation in World Food Teleconference WMN, 10/2/1991, 3.
- Barbara Stoler Miller to Speak on Indian Traditions FH, 10/4/1991, 8.
- Competitive Scholarships Offered FH, 1/17/1992, 11.
- James A. Lee and Serson Brown Will be Featured at Reves Coffee Hour WMN, 1/29/1992, 3.
- Hao Chang to Lecture on Chinese Communism WMN, 2/5/1992, 2.
- Hao Chang to Speak at VCAS Lecture Program FH, 2/7/1992, 14.
- Fall Classes to Include Arabic FH, 2/14/1992, 1, 2.
- Clayton Clemens Discusses the Death of the Cold War FH, 2/14/1992, 5.
- The Changing Role of the U.N. in the Post-Cold War World WMN, 2/19/1992, 4-5 (picture).
- Student Assistants Sought for Keio-W&M Summer Program WMN, 2/19/1992, 4 (picture).
- New Exchange Program with University of Adelaide FH, 2/21/1992, 12.
- College to Host Latin American Summit FH, 2/21/1992, 1, 4.
- Latin American Diplomats Meet WMN, 2/26/1992, 1.
- Study Abroad in Australia and Canada WMN, 2/26/1992, 3.
- Zbyszko Melosik to Visit Campus WMN, 2/26/1992, 3.
- Latin American Ambassadors Meet WMN, 3/4/1992, 4 (picture).
- Richard Zettler to Give Iraq Lecture FH, 3/10/1992, 18.
- SE Asia Forestry Subject of Michael Leigh Talk FH, 3/20/1992, 18.
- Ambassador John Tuthill Among Speakers for Programs at Reves Center WMN, 3/25/1992, 4.
- Honors Series Features Yuji Ono and Stephen Ericson FH, 3/27/1992, 16.
- Ambassador John W. Tuthill ‘1932 to Visit Campus WMN, 4/1/1992, 1, 2.
- Sponsors Humor Lecture by Willibald Ruch of Dusseldorf FH, 4/3/1992, 16.
- Annette Weimer to Give Mahatma Gandhi Freedom Lecture WMN, 4/8/1992, 1 (picture).
- Fellowships Offered at Cambridge WMN, 4/15/1992, 2.
- Discussion of U.S.- Japanese Rivalry, Talks by Bill and Ruch Set WMN, 4/15/1992, 3.
- James Bill Speaks of Kuwait FH, 4/17/1992, 3 (picture).
- Shatz Grant Helps Reves Center FH, 9/4/1992, 2.
- International Faculty Development Seminars Available WMN, 9/9/1992, 3.
- George D. Kenney to Speak on Balkan Situation WMN, 9/16/1992, 3.
- Studies in England WMN, 9/16/1992, 3.
- Christmas Homestay FH, 9/18/1992, 10.
- Georges D. Kenney to Lecture on Balkan Situation WMN, 9/23/1992, 1.
- Human Rights Lobbyist John Kamm to Visit WMN, 9/30/1992, 3.
- Anders Uhrskov to Discuss Danish Study Program WMN, 9/30/1992, 3.
- Study Abroad Fair Being Planned WMN, 10/7/1992, 3 (picture).
- Study Abroad Fair WMN, 10/14/1992, 3.
- Syrian Scholar Elias Samo Assesses U.S. Role in Middle East FH, 10/23/1992, 2 (picture).
- Mrs. Fred Moore Endows Bill Study Abroad Scholarship WMN, 10/28/1992, 4.
- Wendy Reves Makes Annual Visit FH, 11/7/1992, 3 (picture).
- McKinney H. Russell of U.S. Information Agency to Speak WMN, 11/11/1992, 3.
- Alan Tunnelson Urges Domestic Goals FH, 11/13/1992, 3.
- David Rottman Lectures WMN, 11/18/1992, 3.
- Mikinney Russell Examines Agency FH, 11/20/1992, 8 (picture).
- Faculty Discussions on World Perspective WMN, 1/27/1993, 5.
- Bill Brings Expertise to Washington Conference FH, 1/29/1993, 8.
- Information Sessions Slated for Overseas Opportunities WMN, 2/3/1993, 3.
- Michael Mann to Launch Reves Lecture Series WMN, 2/10/1993, 1 (picture).
- Gerald Baliles and Panelists Discuss Trade FH, 2/12/1993, 5.
- Reves Room Lectures FH, 2/12/1993, 17.
- Mexican Study FH, 2/12/1993, 17.
- Moawiyah Ibrahim to Present Lecture on Archeology of Jordan WMN, 2/17/1993, 1.
- Peter J. Taylor to Speak on Nation-State and Geography WMN, 2/17/1993, 1.
- Faculty Art Enhances Décor at Reves Center WMN, 2/17/1993, 2.
- Faculty Takes USSR Apart FH, 2/19/1993, 12 (picture).
- African Programs FH, 2/19/1993, 20.
- Stephen Toulmin to Lecture on a ‘Hidden Agenda of Modernity’ WMN, 2/24/1993, 1,2 (picture).
- Upcoming Events WMN, 3/17/1993, 3.
- Business Study in Mexico FH, 3/19/1993, 16.
- Political Philosopher John Dunn to Give Reves Lecture WMN, 3/24/1993, 1 (picture).
- Keio—W&M Summer Program Seeks Student Assistants WMN, 3/24/1993, 5.
- Judge Mohammed Bedjaoui to Give Reves Lecture WMN, 3/31/1993, 1, 4 (picture).
- Schedules Orientation for Study Abroad WMN, 3/31/1993, 4.
- Mohammed Bedjaoui Discusses Nation-State FH, 4/9/1993, 2 (picture).
- Haruki Murakami to Visit WMN, 4/14/1993, 3 (picture).
- Herbert Hirsch to Speak on Bosnia and Genocide WMN, 4/14/1993, 3.
- Experts Debate Somalia FH, 4/16/1993, 5 (picture).
- Jorge Castaenda to Speak on Reves Lecture Series, WMN 4/30/1993, 7.
- Herbert Hirsch Addresses Bosnia’s Crisis FH, 4/30/1993, 7.
- Siemens Award WMN, 5/5/1993, 6 (picture).
- Keio University Summer Program WMN, 8/18/1993, 4 (pictures).
- Beyond the Nation-State WMN, 8/18/1993, 8.
- Nobel Peace Prize Recipient Oscar Arias Sanchez to Speak at Program Honoring Emery Reves WMN, 9/1/1993, 1.
- Reves Sponsors Debate on Future of Nation-State FH, 9/13/1993, 6.
- Laureate Sanchez to Deliver Reves Speech FH, 9/3/1993, 6.
- Lecture Analyzes Genocide FH, 9/10/1993, 8 (picture).
- Study Abroad Sessions FH, 9/10/1993, 17.
- International Symposium Seeks ‘Genuine Peace’ WMN, 9/15/1993, 1, 7.
- Monitor Submissions Requested FH, 9/17/1993, 12.
- Symposium and Gala Highlight Reves Celebration WMN, 9/29/1993, 5 (pictures).
- College Honors Reves FH, 10/1/1993, 1, 3 (picture).
- Professors Discuss War FH, 10/1/1993, 7.
- Literature in Politics Hailed FH, 10/15/1993, 8 (picture).
- Forum Discusses Sexuality FH, 11/12/1993, 5 (picture).
- To Inspire the Mind: Margaret Joan Anstee Wins Reves Peace Price AG, Winter 1994, 18-24 (pictures).
- Small World in Reves FH, 2/18/1994, 8.
- Hear Music from the Middle East WMN, 2/23/1994, 7.
- Communist Leader Zuganov to Speak FH, 4/1/1994, 1, 6.
- Mentor Program Initiated FH, 4/22/1994, 6 (picture).
- Japanese Parliament Member Sado Hirano to Speak at Reves FH, 4/29/1994, 5.
- Japanes Parliament Member to Asses Reform Efforts WMN, 5/4/1994, 1.
- Roger Smith to Lecture on Rape and the Politics of Genocide WMN, 9/7/1994, 1.
- Robert Fritts Opens Fall Lecture Series FH, 9/16/1994, 5 (picture).
- IR Series Speaker Highlights Islam FH, 9/23/1994, 5 (picture).
- Speaker Series FH, 1/27/1995, 20.
- Reves Center Sponsors Variety of Speakers WMN, 2/1/1995, 5.
- Sponsor Latin American Ambassadors Summit WMN, 2/8/1995, 1, 2.
- Reves Center Kinesiology Benefit from Borgenicht Gift WMN, 2/8/1995, 2 (picture).
- College to Host Borgenicht Peace Symposium FH, 3/24/1995, 6.
- College Hosts Peace Forum FH, 3/31/1995, 2 (picture).
- Reves Semi-Formal FH, 3/31/1995, 22.
- Town Meeting Examines Future of Peace Process FH, 11/5/1995, 1 (pictures).
- Roberto Mayorga Speaks to Reves Students FH, 12/1/1995, 1 (picture).
- Borgenicht Symposium Negotiates Peace in the Middle East FH, 12/1/1995, 1, 6 (picture).
- Town Meeting on Peace Gets High Marks WMN, 12/1/1991, 2 (pictures).
- $10 million Tribute to Peace WMN, 12/20/1995, 1,2.
- A Perfect Fit for Borgenicht Scholar WMN, 3/27/1996, 1 5 (picture).
- East Asian Ensembles to Perform FH, 3/15/1996, 7, 9.
- Program Director Sought for Study Abroad Programs in France WMN, 4/10/1996, 3.
- Reves Throws Ball FH, 4/12/1996, 11.
- Teruo Inoue of Keio University Slated to Lecture WMN, 9/5/1996, 7.
- Middle East Peace Course Offers Solutions to Strife FH, 9/6/1996, 1, 4.
- Yair Hirschfeld Played Role in Middle East Mediation FH, 9/6/1996, 1, 4.
- Reves Honors Work of International Scholars WMN, 10/16/1996, 15 (picture).
- Talks to Examine Role of Investment in Peace Process WMN, 11/21/1996, 1, 6.
- Borgenicht Scholar Hirschfeld Keeps Peace in the Classroom AG, Fall 1996, 7 (picture).
- Planned Middle East Peace Summit Remains Tentative FH, 12/6/1996, 1 (picture).
- Middle East Talks Cancelled WMN, 12/11/1996, 1.
- Lesson in Peace Pays Off WMN, 1/29/1997, 6 (pictures).
- A tasty Valentine from Wendy WMN, 3/17/1997, 7 (picture).
- Study Abroad Directors Sought WMN, 3/17/1997, 7.
- Jewels in the Crown AG, Spring 1997, 26-29 (picture).
- Banana Splits AG, Spring 1997, 28.
- Middle East Peace Conference Revived in Washington WMN, 10/16/1997, 2.
- John Browne Speaks on the Monarchy FH, 11/7/1997, 5 (picture).
- College Joins Peace Process WMN, 11/21/1997, 1, 2 (pictures).
- Conference Examines Thawing U.S. – Iranian Relations WMN, 1/29/1998, 2 (picture).
- Echoes of the Past Fade with New Iranian Leaders WMN, 2/12/1998, 6 (picture).
- Symposium Examines Economic, Political, and Strategic Challenges Facing Korea WMN, 4/9/1998, 3.
- Peace Program Branches Out to West Bank WMN, 6/25/1998, 2 (picture).
- Canning Appointed Interim Reves Director WMN, 6/25/1998, 7.
- Grad Programs Enroll Record Number of International Students WMN, 9/17/1998, 3 (picture).
- Committee Seeks New Director FH, 9/25/1998, 6 (picture).
- Culture Club FH, 10/2/1998, 1, 4 (picture).
- Kosovo May Lead to Wider Balkan War WMN, 10/15/1998, 1, 4 (picture).
- Candidate Sought for Director WMN, 10/15/1998, 6.
- Reves Criticized in Student Forum FH, 10/23/1998, 1, 6.
- Wendy Reves Honored with Botetourt Award FH, 11/6/1998, 2 (picture).
- Wowing Wendy WMN, 11/12/1998, 1 (picture).
- Borgenicht Conference Looks at Moral Dilemmas of Using Force WMN, 11/12/1992, 2, 3 (picture).
- Celebrate Black History Month One African Studies Concentration FH, 1/29/1999, 3.
- Conference Considers Prospects for Balkan Peace WMN, 3/4/1999, 2, 6 (pictures).
- Borgenicht Scholar Shares Insights on Kosovo WMN, 4/1/1999, 1 (picture).
- Rope as an Instrument of War is Focus of Movie Screening at Balkan Screening WMN, 4/1/1999, 2 (picture).
- Bosnian Students Look to Bridge Differences by Developing Grassroots Ties WMN, 4/15/1999, 1, 4 (pictures).
- Borgenicht Programs Help Foster World Peace FH, 4/23/1999.
- Nuclear Nonproliferation Expert Mitchell Reiss Named Center Director WMN, 5/27/1999, 1, 2 (picture).
- Keio Program Offered for Ninth Year WMN, 7/22/1999, 7.
- Drastic Reforms Required for Japan to Recover Says Heizo Takenaka WMN, 8/19/1999, 7 (picture).
- Mitchell Reiss Appointed Director FH, 9/3/1999, 1, 6 (picture).
- Hosts Reception for Foreign Students WMN, 9/16/1999, 7.
- Borgenicht Grants Support Students Faculty Peace Teams WMN, 11/11/1999, 1, 5.
- Co-Sponsors Conference on North Korea WMN, 11/11/1999, 3.
- Establishes Unique Internship Program WMN, 1/20/2000, 6.
- Reserves Freedom Award WMN, 1/20/2000, 2 (picture).
- Unites Global Thinkers WMN, 3/30/2000, 2 (picture).
- Jackie Chan to Speak at College’s Parents’ Weekend FH, 9/15/2000, 1, 4 (picture).
- Expanded Financial Aid for Study Abroad WMN, 10/5/2000, 3.
- Borgenicht Peace Research Center WMN, 10/5/2000, 3.
- Zinni to Teach Ethics and Foreign Policy WMN, 8/22/2002, 3.
- Reves Center for International Studies in the SCRC database.
- FH, 11/1/85, p. 1, 4
- FH, 9/4/87, p. 3
- University Archives Photograph Collection: P1977.119, P1977.333, P1977.339, P80.124 (oversize), P80.124a parts 1-3, P1982.242, P1987.413, P1987.416
- Miriam Bright Photographs – Archives Acc. 1985.22
- Thomas G. Pullen Scrapbook – Archives Acc. 1983.82
- University Archives Buildings File (2007), Tyler Hall, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|