Difference between revisions of "Randolph Residences"
m (Text replacement - "[[Category:College of William and Mary" to "[[Category:William & Mary")
|Line 20:||Line 20:|
[[Category:William Mary Buildings]]
Latest revision as of 16:06, 9 September 2019
The Randolph Residences, also known as the Randolph Complex, are located at 500 Ukrop Way (formerly Campus Drive) east of the Commons on the campus of the College of William and Mary. All of the buildings in the complex are named for Virginia governors: Giles, Pleasants, Harrison, Page, Tazewell, Cabell, Nicholas, and Preston. The complex itself is named for the four Randolphs, all graduates of William and Mary, who served as governors of Virginia: Edmund Randolph (1753-1813), Beverly Randolph (1754-1797), Peyton Randolph (1779-1828), and Thomas Mann Randolph (1768-1828).
Construction of five of the buildings (four dormitories for housing 246 students and one building for activities) was completed in July 1980. In the same year, five sorority court houses underwent renovation and the women previously living in those houses occupied Giles and Pleasants for the first semester of the 1980-1981 academic year. The dedication ceremony for the Randolph Residences was held on October 11, 1980 at Tazewell House on Parents' Weekend.
Pleasants and Giles consist of small clusters of eleven double rooms and two single rooms grouped around two large living room areas joined by an open kitchen. Page and Harrison consist of forty single rooms on five separate floors, each floor sharing a bathroom, kitchen and living room. Cabell is a three-story apartment building with two bedrooms, kitchen, bath, and living/dining room in each apartment. Tazewell is a small activities building equipped with a TV, lounge, laundry, fireplace, and games.
Two new dorms, Nicholas and Preston, were built in 1988 to house 106 more students. Nicholas is a smaller version of Cabell, with three floors of apartment-style rooms, and Preston is located west of Giles Hall.
Preston Hall Fire
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- Colonial Echo, 1980, p. 26, p.63.
- Preston Hall Fire Photographs, University Archives Photograph Collection, Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
- Preston Hall fire via rayhole2 on YouTube.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|