Difference between revisions of "Quonset"
m (Text replacement - "[[Category:College of William and Mary" to "[[Category:William & Mary")
|Line 8:||Line 8:|
[[Category:William Mary Buildings]][[Category:William Mary Buildings Past]]
Revision as of 16:06, 9 September 2019
The Quonset Huts at the College of William and Mary were located south of laundry-warehouse. In 1947, a warehouse was built with 4 large Quonset Huts secured through FHA. (Board of Visitors, May 31, 1947, p.37) In 1959, four Quonset Huts were purchased from Solomons Annex, U.S. Naval Air Station, Patuxent River, Maryland, in April for laboratories, classrooms, and storage. (BOV, May 23, 1959, p. 226-332) Around 1968, the huts were used for biology research. (Colonial Echo 1968, p. 28) In December 1991, four huts were torn down to make room for training field (huts 6,7,8,9). The university archives' records center was in Hut 7. In March 1992, the records center opened in Hut 4. Formal address for the Quonset Huts A-D is 116 Grigsby Drive.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|