The Presbyterian Institute was also known as Williamsburg Female Institute. The Institute was located four blocks from the campus of the College of William and Mary on Scotland Street. It was built in 1908 and demolished in 1929. It was near the present Matthew Whaley School.
In 1920 the Presbyterian Institute was rented by the college to be used as a dormitory. It was rented for $1600 and held 75 men. (Board of Visitors, June 20, 1920, p. 13)
It was a brick building, 253' x 40', and 3 stories high.
In 1926/27 it was no longer used by William and Mary, but it was still listed in the 1927 Catalog. The building was abandoned in 1927/28 (Flat Hat, 5/18/1928, 9). It was torn down to make way for new Matthew Whaley School around 1929.
1929--Institute property belonged to Alumni Association, conveyed by deed from Laeta H. Norvell, June 17, 1923. Conveyed to College May 22, 1929. Remainder of property sold to School Board of City of Williamsburg and to Williamsburg Holding Corp. (Colonial Williamsburg)
The "Institute" and "Scotland" buildings were listed separately in the 1926-1927 directory. Both housed men. There were very few rooms under Institute (further research to needed into Presbyterian Institute and the Scotland Street Dormitory).
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.
Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|