Difference between revisions of "Prentis Award"
m (Text replacement - "[[Category:College of William and Mary" to "[[Category:William & Mary")
|Line 114:||Line 114:|
[[Category:William Mary Awards and Honors]]
Latest revision as of 16:03, 9 September 2019
The Prentis Award is given each year to recognize those individuals in the Williamsburg community for their strong civic involvement and support of the College of William and Mary. The award is named after William Prentis, an Eighteenth Century business-owner whose ordinary on Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg played an important role in the local community and the College.
The Prentis Family
The Prentis Award was named for the 18th century Prentis store on Duke of Gloucester Street "known for its fair wages, good merchandise and sound innovative business practices." It served the community for approximately 80 years. Coincidentally, their names were William and Mary Prentis. Their son Joseph attended the College in 1777 and was appointed a member of the Board of Visitors in 1791. There was also a Joseph Prentis, Jr. who attended the College in 1801 and was appointed a member of the BOV in 1824.
One of the collections in the Special Collections Research Center is the Prentis Family Papers, 1807-1830, which includes receipts and other business records from Joseph Prentis and Joseph Prentis, Jr. There is also one receipt from William Prentis in another Manuscripts Collection.
Prentis Award Recipients
1980 - J.B. Hickman and Gilbert L. Granger
1981 - Steve and Chrysa Sacalis, Hammong Branch
1982 - William Guerrant and Sheile Ellis
1983 - Robert H. Rathert
1984 - John Massey, Hays Watkins
1985 - Colonial Williamsburg
1986 - Eugene Sydnor Jr.
1987 - Dick Gunn and Shirley Robertson
1988 - William C. O'Donovan, Maxine Williams
1989 - Joseph Cantrell
1990 - Sam Wallace
1991 - Roxie White
1992 - Jack Carmichael, Keith Kasen, Clive Chu
1993 - No Award
1994 - Shin-ichiro Nagashima and Madelyn Watkinson
1995 - Colonial Williasmburg, Christopher Wren Association
1996 - No Award
1997 - No Award
1998 - Frank Shatz and Stella Neiman
1999 - Trist McConnell
2000 - Lois Hornsby and Jack Edwards
2001 - WIlliam C. O'Donovan and John M. Favret
2002 - Jim Yankovich and Mary Humelsine
2003 - Jeanne Zeidler
2004 - Gilbert A. Bartlett
2005 - Martguerite Davis and Charles F. Crone
2006 - Tony Conyers Jr., James Gleason, John McGlennon
2007 - Tommy Norment
2008 - Colin and Nancy Campbell
2009 - Sanford B. Wanner
2010 - Channing and John Lesslie Hall
2011 - Clyde A. Haulman
In the News
- Sanford B. Wanner to receive 2009 Prentis Award
- Nancy and Colin Campbell named 2008 Prentis recipients for civic work
- Tommy Norment named recipient of 2007 Prentis Award
- College names three recipients of its 2006 Prentis awards
- Bartlett (’62) receives College’s Prentis Award
- Various news clippings in "Awards and Scholarships--Prentis Award," University Archives Subject File, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
References in the The Flat Hat, William & Mary News, and Alumni Gazette:
- Friends present Prentis Award WMN, 9/27/1983, pg. 1 (picture).
- John Massey receives award WMN, 9/26/1984, pg. 2 (picture).
- John Massey honored by Friends of the College AG, Nov. 1984, pg. 15 (picture).
- Business medallion goes to Hays Watkins of CSX WMN, 11/28/1984, pg. 3 (picture); AG, Dec. 1984, pg. 18 (picture).
- Colonial Williamsburg Foundation WMN, 9/18/1985, pg. 1, 4 (picture).
- Richard E. Gunn and Shirley Robertson to be honored WMN, 10/14/1987, pg. 1 (pictures); AG, Nov. 1987, pg. 23.
- The Virginia Gazette, Chickahominy House presented 1988 Prentis awards for service WMN, 11/2/1988, pg. 1, 4 (picture); FH, 11/4/1988, pg. 6.
- Daily Press, Inc., wins Prentis WMN, 10/11/1989, pg. 3 (picture).
- Sam Wallace receives Prentis award WMN, 10/10/1990, pg. 1 (picture).
- College honors Same Wallace AG, Oct. 1990, pg. 23 (picture).
- Shin-ichiro Nagashima, Madelynn W. Watkinson to receive College Prentis awards WMN, 9/28/1994, pg. 1.
- College recognizes contributions and efforts FH, 9/30/1994, pg. 3.
- Nagashima, Watkinson to receive College Prentis awards AG, Oct. 1994, pg. 17.
- College honors Nagashima, Watkinson with Prentis Awards WMN, 10/5/1994, pg. 2 (picture).
- CW, Christopher Wren Society good Prentises AG, Dec. 1995, pg. 16.
- Former mayor, Trist McConnell honored for community service WMN, 4/29/1999, pg. 3 (picture).
- Former mayor Trist McConnell receives award FH, 4/30/1999, pg. 7 (picture).
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|