Phi Mu House
The President's House was built in 1732 and has been the home of all the presidents of the College of William and Mary. In fact, it is the oldest college president's house in the United States. It is located northeast of the Wren Building on Richmond Road.
In 1781, during the American Revolution, it served as Cornwallis' headquarters. It accidentally burned while occupied by French troops before the battle of Yorktown. It was rebuilt with money from Louis XVI.
In 1862, during the Civil War, it was used as Federal Headquarters for the area. After a raid by Confederate General Mosby's men on Union troops in Williamsburg, defensive works were thrown up by the Federal troops across Old Campus in spring 1865. The President's House was used in these works and some of its windows and doors were bricked up and loopholed. Total damage to the house during the war was $1600.
On January 1, 1931, the President's House was turned over to the Colonial Williamsburg Restoration Project headed by John D. Rockefeller, Jr., along with the Brafferton and the Wren Building, and all three buildings were restored to their eighteenth-century appearance. In was renovated between 1971 and 1972 and is currently the home of the present College President and his family.