Difference between revisions of "Penniman Building"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m (Text replacement - "[[Category:College of William and Mary" to "[[Category:William & Mary")
Line 18: Line 18:
[[Category:College of William and Mary Buildings]][[Category:College of William and Mary Buildings Past]][[Category:Ref]]
[[Category:William & Mary Buildings]][[Category:William & Mary Buildings Past]][[Category:Ref]]

Latest revision as of 16:06, 9 September 2019

Penniman Building

Acquired by the College: 1920-1921

Renovations: 1924

Destroyed: 1925

Map it for me

Note: Location on map is approximate.

The Penniman Building was located between the Power Plant and the Tyler Annex, south of the Dining Hall.

1920 Board of Visitors' minutes indicate that one of two building purchased at Penniman was to be moved from Penniman and relocated to campus for use as a men's dormitory. In 1921 the hotel at Penniman was bought to be moved to campus behind the Dining Hall. One wing was used for the Biology Department as 5 laboratories and 1 lecture room. Another wing housed a 150-student dining hall to be connected with the kitchen via a covered passageway. 1921--Hotel at Penniman bought and will be moved to campus, erected back of Dining Hall. A third wing was for a 50-student dormitory.

In 1924 the second floor of the Penniman Building was converted into a freshman dining hall.

The Penniman Building was destroyed by fire on June 18, 1925.

Material in the Special Collections Research Center

Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.