Nathaniel Beverley Tucker (1784-1851)
Nathaniel Beverley Tucker (September 6, 1784-August 26, 1851), author, professor of law, was born at "Matoax" in Chesterfield County, Virginia. He was usually referred to as Beverley Tucker. He was the son of St. George Tucker and Frances (Bland) Randolph Tucker. He graduated from the College of William and Mary in 1801 and began the practice of law in Charlotte County, Virginia. In 1807, he married Mary Coalter, sister of his brother-in-law John Coalter. In 1817, he moved to Missouri and became the Circuit Court Judge of the Missouri Territory. Nathaniel remarried twice after Mary died in 1827. His second wife was Eliza Naylor and his third wife was Lucy Anne Smith. He returned to teach law at the College of William and Mary in 1834 and died in 1851. His nephew was named Nathaniel Beverley Tucker.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- Nathaniel Beverley Tucker in SCRC Database
External Links / Further Reading
- Tucker, N. Beverley "An Essay on the Moral and Political Effect of the Relation Between the Caucasian master and the African Slave" (1844), The College of William & Mary Law School, William & Mary Law School Scholarship Repository, Faculty Publications. Paper 1342. Accessed March 8, 2017.
- Doares, Robert, Jr. "The Life and Literature of Nathaniel Beverley Tucker", The Colonial Williamsburg Journal, Fall 2001. Accessed March 8, 2017.
- Nathaniel Beverley Tucker at Findagrave.com.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.
Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|