Difference between revisions of "Morris House"
m (Text replacement - "[[Category:College of William and Mary" to "[[Category:William & Mary")
|Line 16:||Line 16:|
[[Category:William Mary Buildings]][[Category:William Mary Athletics]]
Latest revision as of 16:04, 9 September 2019
The Morris House was located across Jamestown Road from Ewell Hall (Old Phi Beta Kappa Hall) on the site of the old College Bookstore. It was a ten room frame house used in 1925 for women's housing and was purchased by the College of William and Mary in 1928. It was paid for by C.W., Inc. and the Paradise House was transferred to C.W. on July 1, 1929, canceling the indebtedness of the College for $15,000 on the Morris House. The building was purchased from Mattie C. Morris, who retained possession and occupancy of the first floor until her death in 1940, and was used for faculty housing for the next several years.
The Morris House had a capacity to house twenty-four individuals and was used to house male students (the first students to live there in several years) in 1946. In more recent history, it housed football players and had a front porch. It was listed as a dormitory in 1951, was owned by the Endowment Fund in 1958, and stayed in use until 1964, when it was torn down and the College Bookstore was built in its place.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- University Archives Buildings File (2007), Morris House, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|