Moncure House

From Special Collections Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Moncure House

Constructed: ca. 1898

Purchased by the College: 1926

Named for: Blanche E. Moncure

Renovations: 1927

Map it for me


Location: 195 Armistead Avenue at the corner of Richmond Road

  • probably built c.1898
  • Cottage-151-153 Richmond Road
  • House - 155 Richmond Road
  • House - 195 Armistead Road

c.1901--Moncure House, 2 story frame with turret on S.W. Corner, on site of present Kappa Alpha Omega House, Lot #7 (Blitzer) (Colonial Echo, 1902, p. 163)

  • Moncure Cottage (153 Richmond Road) 2 story frame with double porch, Lot #6, 27' x 60' (Colonial Echo, 1902, p. 163)

1926--Moncure property purchased (BofV, November 1926, p.149)

  • Purchased from Blanche E. Moncure for $10.00, August 26,1926(1983.70 under Razing of Houses)

1927--Moncure House on corner, Richmond Road, to be renovated and rented to Chi Omega (1927-1929).

  • Moncure Cottage next door to be remodeled into 2-family apartment for faculty (Straw Hat, 8/4/1927, 1).

1929-30--House rented to Delta Delta Delta (1929-1931)(JAC Chandler to Pauline Shewmake, May 29, 1929, 1982.45 under Students—Fraternities and Sororities)

1931--Moncure House destroyed by fire Feb. 10,1931 (FH, 2/13/1931,p1)

  • to be rebuilt (FH, 3/20/1931, p 1)

1932--present Kappa Alpha Omega House (Blitzer House) built on site of Moncure House (155 Richmond Road) at a cost of $30,000 (BofV, December 1932, p. 37)

1974--1975 Armistead Avenue (built c. 1926) purchased. Four bedroom house and an adjoining apartment, to be renovated for student housing (BofV, May 1974, p. 237; Nov. 1974, p. 319; April 1975,p. 397)

1977--Cottage used for law school and legal services

1983-1984/1985-1986--Sigma Nu House, 195 Armistead Avenue (FH, 1/21/1983, 3; FH, 9/12/1986, 3)

1987-1988--International Studies House, 195 Armistead Avenue (WMN, 8/26/1987, 1)

2013 - Housing for Upper Classmen

Material in the Special Collections Research Center

  • A guide specifically for researching topics related to William & Mary is available;

Photographs

References

  • University Archives Buildings File (2007), Moncure House, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.


Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.