Difference between revisions of "Minnie G. Braithwaite"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m (Text replacement - "at the College of William and Mary" to "at William & Mary")
 
(One intermediate revision by one other user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
The Annual '''Minnie Braithwaite''' Lecture in Women’s Studies commemorates the efforts of Minnie Galt Braithwaite to attend classes at the [[College of William and Mary]] in 1896. On October 2 of that year, Braithwaite petitioned the faculty of the college to allow her to attend [[chemistry]] lectures. The faculty assembly voted 4-3 to deny her request. Six days later, after much discussion about Braithwaite’s appeal of their decision, the group rejected a more sweeping resolution that would have allowed women into the science lectures. Members of the faculty voting in favor of Braithwaite's request were President [[Lyon G. Tyler]]; the Professor of Natural Science, Van Franklin Garrett; and the Professor of Methods and Pedagogics, Hugh Stockdell Bird. Members of the faculty voting in the majority were Professor of English and History, John Lesslie Hall; the Professor of Latin, Lyman Brown Wharton; the Professor of Mathematics, Thomas Jefferson Stubbs; and the Professor of Greek, French, and German, Charles Edward Bishop.
+
'''Minnie Galt Braithwaite Jenkins''' (1874-1954) was from Williamsburg, Virginia.  
  
On February 6, 1896, the Faculty of the College of William and Mary had approved a resolution "that ladies of town and College be permitted, at Dr. Hall's discretion, to attend his lectures on Shakespeare." Additional information about [[women at the College of William and Mary]] is available.
+
On February 6, 1896, the faculty of the [[College of William and Mary]] had approved a resolution "that ladies of town and College be permitted, at Dr. Hall's discretion, to attend his lectures on Shakespeare." On October 2, 1896, Braithwaite petitioned the faculty of William & Mary to allow her to attend [[chemistry]] lectures. The faculty assembly voted 4-3 to deny her request. Six days later, after much discussion about Braithwaite’s appeal of their decision, the group rejected a more sweeping resolution that would have allowed women into the science lectures. Members of the faculty voting in favor of Braithwaite's request were [[President]] [[Lyon G. Tyler]]; the Professor of Natural Science, Van Franklin Garrett; and the Professor of Methods and Pedagogics, [[Hugh Stockdell Bird]]. Members of the faculty voting in the majority were Professor of English and History, [[John Lesslie Hall]]; the Professor of Latin, [[Lyman Brown Wharton]]; the Professor of Mathematics, [[Thomas Jefferson Stubbs]]; and the Professor of Greek, French, and German, Charles Edward Bishop.
  
After leaving Williamsburg, Braithwaite became a teacher for the Bureau of Indian Affairs in Arizona and California. While teaching, she married Clarence W. Jenkins.
+
The Annual Minnie Braithwaite Lecture in [[Women’s Studies]] commemorates the efforts of Minnie Galt Braithwaite to attend classes at [[William & Mary]].
 +
 
 +
After leaving Williamsburg, Braithwaite became a teacher for the Bureau of Indian Affairs in Arizona and California. While teaching, she married Clarence W. Jenkins. She was the author of "Babes in the Woods at Jamestown District School, 1891" and "Girl from Williamsburg" published in 1951.
  
 
==References==
 
==References==
Line 11: Line 13:
 
==Material in the Special Collections Research Center==
 
==Material in the Special Collections Research Center==
 
* [http://scdb.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=7711 Bucktrout-Braithwaite Papers], Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William & Mary.
 
* [http://scdb.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=7711 Bucktrout-Braithwaite Papers], Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William & Mary.
 +
*Additional information about [[women at the College of William and Mary]] is available.
 +
  
 
{{helpmsg}}
 
{{helpmsg}}

Latest revision as of 16:52, 9 September 2019

Minnie Galt Braithwaite Jenkins (1874-1954) was from Williamsburg, Virginia.

On February 6, 1896, the faculty of the College of William and Mary had approved a resolution "that ladies of town and College be permitted, at Dr. Hall's discretion, to attend his lectures on Shakespeare." On October 2, 1896, Braithwaite petitioned the faculty of William & Mary to allow her to attend chemistry lectures. The faculty assembly voted 4-3 to deny her request. Six days later, after much discussion about Braithwaite’s appeal of their decision, the group rejected a more sweeping resolution that would have allowed women into the science lectures. Members of the faculty voting in favor of Braithwaite's request were President Lyon G. Tyler; the Professor of Natural Science, Van Franklin Garrett; and the Professor of Methods and Pedagogics, Hugh Stockdell Bird. Members of the faculty voting in the majority were Professor of English and History, John Lesslie Hall; the Professor of Latin, Lyman Brown Wharton; the Professor of Mathematics, Thomas Jefferson Stubbs; and the Professor of Greek, French, and German, Charles Edward Bishop.

The Annual Minnie Braithwaite Lecture in Women’s Studies commemorates the efforts of Minnie Galt Braithwaite to attend classes at William & Mary.

After leaving Williamsburg, Braithwaite became a teacher for the Bureau of Indian Affairs in Arizona and California. While teaching, she married Clarence W. Jenkins. She was the author of "Babes in the Woods at Jamestown District School, 1891" and "Girl from Williamsburg" published in 1951.

References

Material in the Special Collections Research Center



Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.