Memorial Garden

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Revision as of 11:43, 18 November 2011 by Emotoo (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Memorial Garden Dove sculpture

The College of William and Mary Memorial Garden ", located in College Woods – just off the main path between Miller Hall and the Lake Matoaka Amphitheater, will provide a dignified, reflective place to memorialize deceased alumni, faculty, staff, their families and friends of the College." The garden was funded entirely through private donations, including gifts by Jack Garrett '40 and the Class of 1959's 50th Reunion class gift. In addition to Garrett, reunion gift chairs Jim Brinkley'59, Kathy Watson Lawler '59 and Earl "Tuggy" Young '59 were applauded during the September, 2010, dedication ceremony for their efforts in making the Memorial Garden a reality.

Administered by the Alumni Association, the garden will be available to members of the William & Mary family who wish to have their ashes, or the ashes of their immediate family members, buried at the memorial site. A plaque on the surrounding brick wall will mark each person whose ashes are placed in the garden.

The centerpiece of the garden is a towering bronze sculpture of a dove, created by David Turner '83. Turner's sculptures appear all over campus, including Bald Eagles in the Sadler Center and Great Blue Heron and Marsh Wren in Crim Dell.


In the News


A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's access tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.