Difference between revisions of "Melvyn D. Schiavelli"
m (Text replacement - "[[Category:College of William and Mary" to "[[Category:William & Mary")
|Line 121:||Line 121:|
[[Category:Biographical Sketch|Schiavelli, Melvyn D.]][[Category:
[[Category:Biographical Sketch|Schiavelli, Melvyn D.]][[Category:William Mary Provost|Schiavelli, Melvyn D.]][[Category:William Mary Faculty and Staff|Schiavelli, Melvyn D.]]
Latest revision as of 16:06, 9 September 2019
Melvyn D. Schiavelli was Provost of the College of William and Mary from 1986 - 1993. He was Assistant Professor of Chemistry from 1968-1971, Associate Professor of Chemistry from 1971-1980, full Professor from 1980-1993, chair of the Chemistry department from 1978-1984 and Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences from 1984-1986. After President Verkuil retired from his position in 1992, Schiavelli served as acting president until President Sullivan's tenure began later that year. Schiavelli was on leave in the second semester of the 1972-1973 school year, and took a full year of leave from 1976-1977. He received the Thomas Jefferson Award in 1993.
In a memorandum to the William and Mary community dated October 21, 1992, President Timothy Sullivan praised Schiavelli, writing "All of us at William and Mary owe a great debt to our Provost Melvyn Schiavelli. Mel has been a major architect of many of the significant academic advances of the last eight years. During the last three years of fiscal stringency, Mel has provided exemplary budgetary leadership. It will take time for all of us to see the enduring benefits of the difficult decisions he was forced to make. In a real and important sense, Mel's great abilities have changed William and Mary for the better."
According to the Flat Hat, "As provost of the College, Schiavelli was responsible for a $136 million annual budget. He created a faculty senate model of governance and enhanced faculty programs of summer research grants and sabbaticals. As interim president, he guided the Campaign for the Fourth Century."
Schiavelli grew up in Cicero, Illinois and attended DePaul University in Chicago, earning a BS in Chemistry in 1964. He went on to earn a Ph.D. in Chemistry from the University of California at Berkeley. Schiavelli published many articles in his field.
After his time at William & Mary, Schiavelli continued his career in academic administration, serving the University of Delaware as provost until 2002 and the Harrisburg University of Science and Technology, which he helped to found starting in 2002, as president. In 2012, he was named Executive Vice President for Academic and Student Services at Northern Virginia Community College.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- Office of the Provost in the SCRC database.
In the News
- "Member of Organic Reaction Mechanisms Conference Planning Committee" William and Mary News, 11/12/74, 2.
- "Received Grant" William and Mary News, 1/7/75, 5.
- "Paper Published" William and Mary News, 4/13/76, 4.
- "Granted Leave of Absence" William and Mary News, 5/25/76, 3.
- "To direct arrangements for NSF funded conference" William and Mary News, 6/14/76, 3.
- "To be visiting processor at University of Aberdeen" William and Mary News, 6/14/76, 5.
- "Participated in seminars at a number of foreign universities; published three articles" William and Mary News, 10/18/77, 4.
- "Named Chairperson of Department" The Flat Hat, 9/15/78, 5.
- "Grant given for research" William and Mary News, 5/12/81, 2.
- Alumni Gazette 47.2:22 (picture).
- "Will chair Long-Range Planning Commission" William and Mary News, 1/17/1984, 1 (picture).
- "Is Made New Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences" William and Mary News, 2/28/1984, 1, 5 (picture).
- "Assumes faculty dean position" The Flat Hat, 3/16/1984, 5 (picture).
- "Named Dean of Faculty of Arts and Sciences" The Flat Hat, 3/23/1984, 5 (picture).
- "Science: the best kept secret at William and Mary" Alumni Gazette, April, 1984, 12, 13 (picture).
- "Named Arts and Sciences Dean" Alumni Gazette, April, 1984, 17 (picture).
- "Two new College deans enthusiastic in jobs" William and Mary News, 8/28/1984, 4, 4 (picture).
- "New dean team heads Arts and Sciences" Alumni Gazette, October 1984, 1, 6 (picture).
- "Will make opening remarks at symposium devoted to 'The Crisis of Transition in Africa'" William and Mary News. 10/2/1985, 1, 2.
- "Working for faculty pay raises" The Flat Hat, 3/14/1986, 4 (picture).
- "Presents Don Messmer with his leadership gift to the 1985-86 Faculty-Staff Campaign" William and Mary News, 4/9/1986 (picture).
- "Named new provost of College" William and Mary News, 4/30/1986, 1, 6 (picture).
- "Named new College provost" Alumni Gazette, May 1986, 1 (picture).
- "Takes over duties as Provost," The Flat Hat, 8/29/1986, 3.
- "Visits Harvard" William and Mary News, 4/1/1987, 2.
- "Officials outline budget plans" the Flat Hat, 9/28/1990, 2 (pictures).
- "College makes budget reductions", Alumni Gazette, October 1990, 2 (picture).
- "Gazette recommends Schiavelli for president," The Flat Hat, 11/15/1991, 1 (picture).
- "To leave office," The Flat Hat, 10/23/1992, 1 (picture).
- "Mel's fans speak," The Flat Hat, 11/13/1992, 10 (picture).
- "Seeks new post," The Flat Hat, 1/29/1993.
- "College honors service to school," The Flat Hat, 2/19/1993, 6.
- "Provost polishes resume," The Flat Hat, 2/26/1993, 4.
- "Ohio Wesleyan University search narrows," The Flat Hat, 2/18/1994, 5.
- "Captain Carbon to the rescue," The Flat Hat, 2/18/1994, 9 (picture).
- "School passes on Schiavelli," The Flat Hat, 2/25/1994, 4 (picture).
- "Delaware offers former Provost post," The Flat Hat, 4/1/1994, 1, 3.
- "New Provost at University of Delaware" William and Mary News, 4/6/1994, 2 (picture).
- "A farewell to Schiavelli" William and Mary News, 5/19/1994, 2 (picture).
- "Former provost accepts post at Delaware" Alumni Gazette, May 1994, 18 (picture).
|Preceded by||College of William and Mary Provost||Succeeded by|
|George R. Healy
1979 - 1986
1986 - 1993
1993 - 2003
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|