Medical Education at William & Mary

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Revision as of 11:01, 25 July 2012 by Bsbrom (talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

The history of medical education at the College of William and Mary begins with the founding of the Chair of Anatomy and Medicine on 4 December 1779 as a part of Thomas Jefferson's reforms of the College. While that chair was left vacant in 1784, there have been numerous other attempts to restore medical education to William & Mary.

Chair of Anatomy and Medicine

The Chair of Anatomy and Medicine was created at the December 4, 1779 meeting of the Board of Visitors of the College of William and Mary as a part of Thomas Jefferson's reforms of the College. The purpose of Jefferson's reforms, as he recalled late in life, was to "amend the constitution of Wm & Mary College, to enlarge it's sphere of science, and to make it in fact a University." In order to acheive this goal, Jefferson and the Board of Visitors abolished the two chairs of divinity and the Grammar School, and in place established chairs in law and police, modern languages, and anatomy and medicine.

Dr. James McClurg served as the chair from 1779 until 1784, when he left the College to go into private practice. The vacancy of the chair was never filled. During the 1836-1837 session, the Board of Visitors wanted the Virginia General Assembly to provide funding for a medical school in Richmond, Virginia. The General Assembly, however, could not agree on either an affiliation with a school or the medical school's location, so they postponed the legislation indefinitely.

19th Century

20th Century

21st Century

References

  • Godson, Susan H, et. al., The College of William and Mary: A History, King and Queen Press, 1993. pg. 132, 133, 169, 173, 264.


Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.