Mathematics Department

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Revision as of 12:13, 9 April 2009 by Jaemh28 (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

"The Mathematics Department dates back to the original Charter from King William and Queen Mary on February 6, 1693. Mathematics was represented by one of the six Masters or Professors, and when the full faculty was assembled in 1729, the original masterships were in Divinity, Philosophy, Oriental Languages, Mathematics, the Grammar School and the Indian School. The first professor on record was Hugh Jones, who was on the faculty from 1716-1729. He is the namesake of the present site of the department: the first floor of Hugh Jones Hall."[1]

References

  • John Minor Stetson, "Mathematics at William and Mary," Alumni Gazette 9.4 (1942): 8-9, 31-32. University Archives Subject File, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, College of William and Mary.