Difference between revisions of "Mathematics Department"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Line 4: Line 4:
 
*Mathematics Department webpage, [http://web.wm.edu/mathematics/?fetchid=6455 http://web.wm.edu/mathematics/?fetchid=6455], accessed 19 February 2009.
 
*Mathematics Department webpage, [http://web.wm.edu/mathematics/?fetchid=6455 http://web.wm.edu/mathematics/?fetchid=6455], accessed 19 February 2009.
  
*John Minor Stetson, "Mathematics at William and Mary,"  
+
*John Minor Stetson, "Mathematics at William and Mary," Alumni Gazette 9.4 (1942): 8-9, 31-32. University Archives Subject File, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
 
[[Category: College of William and Mary Academic Department|Mathematics]]
 
[[Category: College of William and Mary Academic Department|Mathematics]]

Revision as of 12:13, 9 April 2009

"The Mathematics Department dates back to the original Charter from King William and Queen Mary on February 6, 1693. Mathematics was represented by one of the six Masters or Professors, and when the full faculty was assembled in 1729, the original masterships were in Divinity, Philosophy, Oriental Languages, Mathematics, the Grammar School and the Indian School. The first professor on record was Hugh Jones, who was on the faculty from 1716-1729. He is the namesake of the present site of the department: the first floor of Hugh Jones Hall."[1]

References

  • John Minor Stetson, "Mathematics at William and Mary," Alumni Gazette 9.4 (1942): 8-9, 31-32. University Archives Subject File, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, College of William and Mary.