Difference between revisions of "Mathematics Department"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
'''Department of Mathematics'''
+
"The Mathematics Department dates back to the original Charter from King William and Queen Mary on February 6, 1693.  Mathematics was represented by one of the six Masters or Professors, and when the full faculty was assembled in 1729, the original masterships were in Divinity, Philosophy, Oriental Languages, Mathematics, the Grammar School and the Indian School. The first professor on record was Hugh Jones, who was on the faculty from 1716-1729. He is the namesake of the present site of the department: the first floor of Hugh [[Jones Hall]]."[http://web.wm.edu/mathematics/?fetchid=6455]
 
 
"The Mathematics Department dates back to the original Charter from King William and Queen Mary on February 6, 1693.  Mathematics was represented by one of the six Masters or Professors, and when the full faculty was assembled in 1729, the original masterships were in Divinity, Philosophy, Oriental Languages, Mathematics, the Grammar School and the Indian School. The first professor on record was Hugh Jones, who was on the faculty from 1716-1729. He is the namesake of the present site of the department: the first floor of Hugh [[Jones Hall]]."
 
  
 
==References==
 
==References==

Revision as of 14:10, 23 February 2009

"The Mathematics Department dates back to the original Charter from King William and Queen Mary on February 6, 1693. Mathematics was represented by one of the six Masters or Professors, and when the full faculty was assembled in 1729, the original masterships were in Divinity, Philosophy, Oriental Languages, Mathematics, the Grammar School and the Indian School. The first professor on record was Hugh Jones, who was on the faculty from 1716-1729. He is the namesake of the present site of the department: the first floor of Hugh Jones Hall."[1]

References