Difference between revisions of "Mason School of Business"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Text replacement - "at the College of William and Mary" to "at William & Mary")
m (Text replacement - "Swem Library, College of William and Mary" to "Swem Library, William & Mary")
 
Line 13: Line 13:
  
 
==References==
 
==References==
*1919/1920, [http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=7953 College of William and Mary Course Offerings Collection], Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
+
*1919/1920, [http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=7953 College of William and Mary Course Offerings Collection], Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, William & Mary.
 
*William and Mary Catalog, 1919-1920, pg. 12, 117, 121.
 
*William and Mary Catalog, 1919-1920, pg. 12, 117, 121.
 
*"Enrollment Rises in Business School," The Flat Hat, 26 September 1930, p. 1.
 
*"Enrollment Rises in Business School," The Flat Hat, 26 September 1930, p. 1.

Latest revision as of 16:13, 9 September 2019

Mason School of Business, 2014

The first Business courses taught at William & Mary were given during the 1919-1920 academic year. By 1930, the number of students enrolled in business classes totaled 556. In 1941, John Stewart Bryan announced the creation of a new business administration department. Previously, business classes were taught within the department of Economics. This new school allowed students to concentrate in different aspects of business including general business, foreign trade, insurance, marketing, personnel administration, statistics, government, business and law, banking and finance.

Buildings

The School of Business moved into the Alan B. Miller Hall in June-July 2009. Business previously used portions of Blow Hall, Tyler Hall, Jones Hall, the Old Gymnasium, as well as other buildings over the years.

Accounting

Accounting was first taught at William & Mary in the Spring of 1920. Among the first lecturers in accounting were Frederick Juchhoff, Professor of Economics and Accountancy from 1919-1922, A.M. Pullen, lecturer in Accountancy from 1919-1920, and A. Lee Rawlings, lecturer in Accountancy from 1919-1920.

Materials in the Special Collections Research Center

References

  • 1919/1920, College of William and Mary Course Offerings Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, William & Mary.
  • William and Mary Catalog, 1919-1920, pg. 12, 117, 121.
  • "Enrollment Rises in Business School," The Flat Hat, 26 September 1930, p. 1.
  • "College Plans New School of Business Administration," The Flat Hat, 14 January 1941, p. 1.


Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.