Difference between revisions of "Marischal Mace"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m (Text replacement - "[[Category:College of William and Mary" to "[[Category:William & Mary")
Line 25: Line 25:
[[Category:College of William and Mary Artifacts]]
[[Category:William & Mary Artifacts]]

Latest revision as of 16:05, 9 September 2019

The Marischal Mace is carried by a representative of the Graduate Council at all official College of William and Mary convocations.

A gift from the University of Aberdeen in honor of the College of William and Mary’s 300th anniversary, the mace was presented by the University’s Principal and Vice Chancellor, Professor John Maxwell Irvine. The University of Aberdeen is comprised of Kings’ College (founded in 1495) and Marischal College (founded in 1593), where William and Mary’s founder and first president, the Rev. James Blair, was educated.

The Marischal Mace, a silver replica of one of the two maces carried by Sacrists at traditional university ceremonies in Scotland, was first carried in academic procession at the Charter Day ceremony in February 1993. The Marishal Mace is a two foot long, bright silver rod embellished with acorn and fleur-de-lis symbols. The mace is topped by an open crown, through which the University of Aberdeen seal is visible.

When not in use, the Marischal Mace is on display in the Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library along with other college regalia including the College Mace and badges of the Rector and Chancellor under the care of the University Archivist.


  • "Scottish University Gives Silver Mace to William and Mary," Press Release, 11 February 1993, Office of University Relations, College of William and Mary.

External Links

  • Photo of the College Regalia on display in the Special Collections Research Center (SCRC) in Swem Library via the SCRC's Flickr page.
  • More photos of the maces via the SCRC's Flickr page.

Need help?

To search for further material, see Finding Materials in the SCRC for an introduction to the SCRC Collections Database, card catalogs, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, etc.

Questions? Contact the SCRC at spcoll@wm.edu or 221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary (hours).

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's access tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.