List of Alumni Serving in the Military
Acuff, A. Marshall, Jr.; Class of 1962; Board of Visitors (BOV) 1991-1999; Rector, W&M 1996-1999; President, Society of Alumni 1989-1991; CT (Lt. USA)
Adams, Thomas; Class of 1755/56; Continental Congress of the US, from VA 1778-1779; Distinguished Alumni List
Albertson-Chapman, Eileen; Class of 1970 JD; Colonel, USMC
Alderson, James Morris; Class of 1953; Captain, USN
Allard, Henry George; Class of 1957; Colonel, USA
Alligood, Ray Lester, Jr.; Class of 1960; Colonel, USA
Ambler, Edward; BOV 1769, VA
Ambler, John; BOV 1794, VA
Anderson, Alvin P.; Class of 1970, JD 1972; President, Society of Alumni 1996-1997
Anderson, Richard Clough; Class of 1804/05; House of Representatives, US from KY 1817-1821; Minister Plenipotentiary to Columbia, 1823
Andrews, M. Carl; Class of 1927; BOV 1958-1966, VA
Anthony, Garner; Class of 1953; BOV 1988-1991, Hawaii; Lt. USMC
Archer, Richard C.; Class of 1804; Secretary of War, Republic of Texas; Roll of Fame
Archer, William Segar; Class of 1805/1808/1810; House of Representatives, US from VA 1820-1835; Senate, US from VA 1841-1847
Armbruster, William A.; Class of 1957; Captain, USN; President, Society of the Alumni 1986-87
Armistead, Frank; Class of 1897; President, Society of the Alumni 1930-1932
Armistead, Henry; BOV 1736, VA, Rector, 1736
Armistead, Robert B.; Class of 1843/47; Major, Confederate Army
Armistead, William; BOV 1812
Arnheiter, Theodore L., Jr.; Class of 1950; Colonel, USAF
Arthur, R. William; Class of 1938; BOV 1954-1962, 1966-1969, VA
Ashby, H. M.; Class of 1853/54; Colonel, Confederate Army
Atkeson, John C.; 1963 (MED); Rear Admiral, USN
Atkinson, Archibald; Class of 1813; House of Representatives, US from VA 1843-1849; Distinguished Alumni List
Avery, John; Class of 1971; Colonel, USA
- Appleton’s Cyclopedia of American Biography, edited by James G. Wilson. New York Appleton, 1891. 6 vols.
- Biographical Directory of the American Congress 1774-1996. Alexandria, Va. CQ Staff Directories, 1997.
- Biographical Directory of the Governors of the United States 1789-1978, edited by Robert Sobel and John Raimo. Westport, Conn.
Greenwood Press, 1978.
- General Assembly of Virginia, July 30, 1619-January 11, 1978A Bicentennial Register of Members, compiled by Cynthia Miller Leonard. Richmond Virginia State Library, 1978.
- Biographical Annal of the Civil Government of the United States, During its First Century, by Charles Lanman. Washington D.C. James Anglim, Publisher, 1876.
- Biographical Dictionary of the Confederacy, by Jon L. Wakelyn. Westport, Conn. Greenwood Press, 1977.
- Civil War Generals Categorical Listings and a Biographical Directory, compiled by James Spencer. Westport, Conn. Greenwood Press, 1986.
- Dictionary of American Biography, edited by Dumas Malone. New York Scribner’s, 1936. 20 vols. and supplements.
- Dictionary of North Carolina Biography, edited by William S. Powell. Chapel Hill University of North Carolina Press, 1979.
- Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography, edited by Lyon G. Tyler. New York Lewis Historical Publishing Co., 1915.
- Flat Hat Club and the Phi Beta Kappa Society Some New Light on Their History, edited by George P. Coleman. Richmond Press of the
Dietz Printing Co., 1916.
- Historical Register of Virginians in the Revolution Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, 1775-1783, by John H. Gwathmey. Richmond Dietz Press, 1938.
- Statutes at Large Being a Collection of All the Laws of Virginia, From the First Session of the Legislature in the Year 1619, by William Walter Hening. Charlottesville University Press of Virginia, 1969. Reprint of 1819-1923 edition. 13 vols.
- Hornbook of Virginia History, edited by Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell, Jr. 4th ed. Richmond The Library of Virginia 1994.
- Lamb’s Biographical Dictionary of the United States, edited by John H. Brown. Boston James A. Lamb Co., 1900. 7 vols.
- The United States in Latin America A Historical Dictionary, by David Shavit. New York Greenwood Press, 1992.
- Lee’s Colonels A Biographical Register of the Fields Officers of the Army of Northern Virginia, by Robert K. Krick. Dayton, Ohio Morningside Bookshop, 1979.
- National Cyclopedia of American Biography. Clifton, N.J. J. T. White, 1893--. 63 vols. and supplements.
- Patriot Above Profit, A Portrait of Thomas Nelson, Jr., by Nell Moore Lee. Nashville, TN 1988.
- Provisional List of Alumni, Grammar School Students, Members of the Faculty, and Members of the Board of Visitors of the College of William and Mary in Virginia, From 1693 to 1888. Richmond Division of Purchase and Printing, 1941.
- Speakers and Clerks of the Virginia House of Burgesses, 1643-1776, by Jon Kukla. Richmond Virginia State Library, 1981.
- Speakers and Clerks of the Virginia House of Delegates 1776-1996, by Bruce Jamerson. Richmond s.n., 1996.
- Virginia Magazine of History and Biography. Richmond Virginia Historical Society, 1893-.
- University Archives Faculty-Alumni File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
- William and Mary Quarterly, edited by Lyon G. Tyler. Vol. 7, 1st Series, pp.1-9. “Education in Colonial Virginia. Part V Influence of William and Mary College.”
- Zachary Taylor: Soldiers of the Republic, by Holman Hamilton, Archon Books, 1966.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|