Difference between revisions of "Library Science"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Line 3: Line 3:
 
The '''Library Science Department''' at the [[College of William and Mary]] was established in 1931, after the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools established standards for secondary school libraries. Dr. [[Earl Gregg Swem]], for whom the library is named after, served as the first chair of the department, from 1931 to 1935.
 
The '''Library Science Department''' at the [[College of William and Mary]] was established in 1931, after the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools established standards for secondary school libraries. Dr. [[Earl Gregg Swem]], for whom the library is named after, served as the first chair of the department, from 1931 to 1935.
  
According to [[Mae Graham]], acting head of the department, the department was the only accredited institution in Virginia by the American Library Association. The Library Science Department received accreditation in 1938, under the direction of Dr. Charles H. Stone, the chair of the department.(Graham)
+
According to [[Mae Graham]], acting head of the department between 1941, the department was the only accredited institution in Virginia by the American Library Association. The Library Science Department received accreditation in 1938, under the direction of Dr. Charles H. Stone, the chair of the department.(Graham)
  
 
==References==
 
==References==

Revision as of 15:43, 13 April 2009

Library Science Department

The Library Science Department at the College of William and Mary was established in 1931, after the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools established standards for secondary school libraries. Dr. Earl Gregg Swem, for whom the library is named after, served as the first chair of the department, from 1931 to 1935.

According to Mae Graham, acting head of the department between 1941, the department was the only accredited institution in Virginia by the American Library Association. The Library Science Department received accreditation in 1938, under the direction of Dr. Charles H. Stone, the chair of the department.(Graham)

References

  • Mae Graham, "Library Science at William and Mary," Alumni Gazette 10.4(1943): 7, 25-26. University Archives Subject File, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, College of William and Mary.