Difference between revisions of "Martha Wren Briggs Amphitheatre at Lake Matoaka"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(References)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[Image:E9217A1.jpg |thumb|right|Lake Matoaka Amphitheater<p>Constructed: 1946-1947</p><p>Renovations: 2006</p><p>Other names: Common Glory Stage, Amphitheater</p><p>[http://maps.google.com/maps?q=lake+matoaka+amphitheater&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&hl=en&hq=&hnear=Lake+Matoaka+Amphitheater,+Williamsburg,+Virginia+23185&ll=37.266335,-76.720104&spn=0.031216,0.055189&z=14 Map it for me]</p>]]
+
[[Image:E9217A1.jpg |thumb|right|Martha Wren Briggs Amphitheatre at Lake Matoaka<p>Constructed: 1946-1947</p><p>Renovations: 2006</p><p>Other names: Common Glory Stage, Amphitheater, Lake Matoaka Amphitheatre</p><p>[http://maps.google.com/maps?q=lake+matoaka+amphitheater&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&hl=en&hq=&hnear=Lake+Matoaka+Amphitheater,+Williamsburg,+Virginia+23185&ll=37.266335,-76.720104&spn=0.031216,0.055189&z=14 Map it for me]</p>]]
The '''Lake Matoaka Amphitheater''' at the [[College of William and Mary]] was also known as the Common Glory Stage or Amphitheater. This amphitheater on the edge of [[Lake Matoaka]] is used primarily for concerts. The amphitheater was planned in 1946 on the site of an old [[boathouse]] and was intended to be used for a colonial pageant in the summer and William and Mary functions during the academic year. Preliminary grading was in progress in 1946.
+
The '''Martha Wren Briggs Amphitheatre at Lake Matoaka''' at the [[College of William and Mary]] was also known as the Lake Matoaka Amphitheatre, the Common Glory Stage, and Amphitheater. The facility, on the edge of [[Lake Matoaka]], is used primarily for concerts. The amphitheatre was planned in 1946 on the site of an old [[boathouse]] and was intended to be used for a colonial pageant in the summer and William and Mary functions during the academic year. Preliminary grading was in progress in 1946.
  
The [[Jamestown Corporation]] oversaw building the stage (118' x 60'), dressing and prop rooms, and spotlight towers. Architect Charles M. Major's sketches show a colonnaded, bowl-shaped theater. Convict labor was used in the construction project.  The amphitheater opened in the summer of 1947 with the production of ''The Common Glory'', which ran from July 17 to September 14 of that year.  
+
The [[Jamestown Corporation]] oversaw building the stage (118' x 60'), dressing and prop rooms, and spotlight towers. Architect Charles M. Major's sketches show a colonnaded, bowl-shaped theater. Convict labor was used in the construction project.  The amphitheatre opened in the summer of 1947 with the production of ''The Common Glory'', which ran from July 17 to September 14 of that year.  
  
In 1977 the lease with Jamestown, Inc., ended. In 1979 equipment was auctioned, and storage and dressing rooms were used by dance classes. An old foundry building was used as a studio for the Fine Arts Department. In 1983 Campus Police evicted two students who had been living in the light tower.  Limited restoration began in 1985.
+
In 1977, the lease with Jamestown, Inc., ended. In 1979 equipment was auctioned, and storage and dressing rooms were used by dance classes. An old foundry building was used as a studio for the Fine Arts Department. In 1983, Campus Police evicted two students who had been living in the light tower.  Limited restoration began in 1985.
  
 
In May of 2006, a $7.6 million renovation began in cooperation with the Jamestown 2007 commemoration. Improvements include a new stage and seating area, ADA access ramps, underground utilities, and new buildings for equipment and a ticket office/restroom. The project was completed in April of 2007.
 
In May of 2006, a $7.6 million renovation began in cooperation with the Jamestown 2007 commemoration. Improvements include a new stage and seating area, ADA access ramps, underground utilities, and new buildings for equipment and a ticket office/restroom. The project was completed in April of 2007.
  
This William & Mary location has also been referred to as Matoaka Park(''[[Flat Hat]]'', [http://hdl.handle.net/10288/87 2/11/1947], p. 9), Matoaka Woods, Matoaka Amphitheater, and other variations over time. The street address is 121 Ukrop Way.
+
This William & Mary location has also been referred to as Matoaka Park(''[[Flat Hat]]'', [http://hdl.handle.net/10288/87 2/11/1947], p. 9), Matoaka Woods, Matoaka Amphitheater, Lake Matoaka Amphitheatre, and other variations over time. The street address is 121 Ukrop Way.
 +
 
 +
At its April 2016 meeting, the Board of Visitors approved the renaming of Lake Matoaka Amphitheatre to the Martha Wren Briggs Amphitheatre at Lake Matoaka, in honor of Briggs (Class of 1955) for her commitment to the facility's restoration. Her support provided the necessary funds to restore the stage, dressing rooms, sound and lighting systems, seats and entrance area, as well as ensuring the facility is accessible to those with disabilities. [http://www.wm.edu/news/stories/2016/amphitheatre,-wellness-center-to-be-renamed-for-alumni.php]
  
 
==Material in the Special Collections Research Center==
 
==Material in the Special Collections Research Center==
Line 16: Line 18:
 
*[http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/?p=collections/controlcard&id=6514 University Archives Subject File Collection], Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
 
*[http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/?p=collections/controlcard&id=6514 University Archives Subject File Collection], Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
 
*University Archives Photograph Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
 
*University Archives Photograph Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
 +
*Board of Visitors Records, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
 
*Search the [http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/ SCRC Collections Database] for the many other resources available.
 
*Search the [http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/ SCRC Collections Database] for the many other resources available.
  

Revision as of 19:36, 25 April 2016

Martha Wren Briggs Amphitheatre at Lake Matoaka

Constructed: 1946-1947

Renovations: 2006

Other names: Common Glory Stage, Amphitheater, Lake Matoaka Amphitheatre

Map it for me

The Martha Wren Briggs Amphitheatre at Lake Matoaka at the College of William and Mary was also known as the Lake Matoaka Amphitheatre, the Common Glory Stage, and Amphitheater. The facility, on the edge of Lake Matoaka, is used primarily for concerts. The amphitheatre was planned in 1946 on the site of an old boathouse and was intended to be used for a colonial pageant in the summer and William and Mary functions during the academic year. Preliminary grading was in progress in 1946.

The Jamestown Corporation oversaw building the stage (118' x 60'), dressing and prop rooms, and spotlight towers. Architect Charles M. Major's sketches show a colonnaded, bowl-shaped theater. Convict labor was used in the construction project. The amphitheatre opened in the summer of 1947 with the production of The Common Glory, which ran from July 17 to September 14 of that year.

In 1977, the lease with Jamestown, Inc., ended. In 1979 equipment was auctioned, and storage and dressing rooms were used by dance classes. An old foundry building was used as a studio for the Fine Arts Department. In 1983, Campus Police evicted two students who had been living in the light tower. Limited restoration began in 1985.

In May of 2006, a $7.6 million renovation began in cooperation with the Jamestown 2007 commemoration. Improvements include a new stage and seating area, ADA access ramps, underground utilities, and new buildings for equipment and a ticket office/restroom. The project was completed in April of 2007.

This William & Mary location has also been referred to as Matoaka Park(Flat Hat, 2/11/1947, p. 9), Matoaka Woods, Matoaka Amphitheater, Lake Matoaka Amphitheatre, and other variations over time. The street address is 121 Ukrop Way.

At its April 2016 meeting, the Board of Visitors approved the renaming of Lake Matoaka Amphitheatre to the Martha Wren Briggs Amphitheatre at Lake Matoaka, in honor of Briggs (Class of 1955) for her commitment to the facility's restoration. Her support provided the necessary funds to restore the stage, dressing rooms, sound and lighting systems, seats and entrance area, as well as ensuring the facility is accessible to those with disabilities. [1]

Material in the Special Collections Research Center

References


Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.