Difference between revisions of "Kate Waller Barrett"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m (iron gates)
m
Line 19: Line 19:
  
  
[[Category:Biographical Sketch|Barrett, Kate Waller]][[Category:College Stub|Barrett, Kate Waller]][[Category:College of William and Mary Faculty and Staff|Barrett, Kate Waller]]
+
[[Category:Biographical Sketch|Barrett, Kate Waller]][[Category:College Stub|Barrett, Kate Waller]][[Category:College of William and Mary Faculty and Staff|Barrett, Kate Waller]][[Category:Ref|Barrett, Kate Waller]]

Revision as of 12:24, 10 September 2009

Kate Waller Barrett was a member of the College of William and Mary Board of Visitors in 1921-1925. She was the second woman to be a member of the Board of Visitors. She was a prominent figure in Virginia political and social circles and a number of buildings across Virginia were named in her honor. She was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. Barrett’s portrait in the Botetourt Gallery in the Earl Gregg Swem Library was painted by Eugenie Deland Sangstad from a photograph after Barrett’s death in 1925. Barrett Hall at the College of William and Mary was named for her. The iron gates from the Capitol Building in Richmond, erected in front of Jefferson Hall facing Jamestown Road, were given by the D.A.R. as a memorial to Barrett and were dedicated on April 30, 1926.

Material in the Special Collections Research Center

  • Kate Waller Barrett Folder, University Archives Faculty Alumni File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary.

References

  • Kate Waller Barrett Folder, University Archives Faculty Alumni File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary.

Need help?

To search for further material, see Finding Materials in the SCRC for an introduction to the SCRC Collections Database, card catalogs, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, etc.

Questions? Contact the SCRC at spcoll@wm.edu or 221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary (hours).

A note about the information in this wiki
Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's access tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.