Difference between revisions of "Kate Waller Barrett"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(more info)
m (Text replacement - "Swem Library, College of William and Mary" to "Swem Library, William & Mary")
 
(10 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
Member of the College of William and Mary Board of Visitors, 1921-1925. Second woman to be a member of the College's Board of Visitors. Member of Phi Beta Kappa. [[Barrett Hall]] was named for her.  She was a prominent figure in Virginia political and social circles and a number of buildings across Virginia have been named in her honor since her death. Barrett’s portrait in the Botetourt Gallery in the [[Earl Gregg Swem Library]] was painted by Eugenie Deland Sangstad from a photograph after Barrett’s death in 1925.
+
'''Kate Waller Barrett'''  was a member of the [[College of William and Mary]] [[Board of Visitors]] in 1921-1925. She was the second woman to be a member of the Board of Visitors. She was a prominent figure in Virginia political and social circles and a number of buildings across Virginia were named in her honor. She was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. Barrett’s portrait, housed in the Muscarelle Museum, was painted by Eugenie Deland Sangstad from a photograph after Barrett’s death in 1925. [[Barrett Hall]] at the College of William and Mary was named for her. The iron gates from the Capitol Building in Richmond, erected in front of [[Jefferson Hall]] facing Jamestown Road and now functioning as a fence, were given by the D.A.R. as a memorial to Barrett and were dedicated on April 30, 1926.([http://hdl.handle.net/10288/5033 The Flat Hat, p. 5][http://hdl.handle.net/10288/4901 The Flat Hat, p. 4])
  
{| border="1" class="wikitable" style="margin: 1em auto 1em auto"
+
 
|-
+
==Material in the Special Collections Research Center==
! style="background:#228844" align="center" |A note about the information in this wiki
+
*[http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/findingaid&id=6617&rootcontentid=487&q=barrett#id491 Kate Waller Barrett Folder], University Archives Faculty Alumni File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, William & Mary.
|-
+
*University Archives Photograph Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, William & Mary.
| |Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's [http://swem.wm.edu/scrc/Tools.cfm access tools] for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.
+
 
|}
+
==References==
----
+
*[http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/index.php?p=collections/findingaid&id=6617&rootcontentid=487&q=barrett#id491 Kate Waller Barrett Folder], University Archives Faculty Alumni File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, William & Mary.
[[Category:Biographical Sketch]][[Category:College Stub]]
+
*[http://hdl.handle.net/10288/5033 The Flat Hat, p. 5], [http://hdl.handle.net/10288/4901 The Flat Hat, p. 4]
 +
 
 +
{{helpmsg}}
 +
{{infodisclaimer}}
 +
[[Category:Biographical Sketch|Barrett, Kate Waller]][[Category:College Stub|Barrett, Kate Waller]][[Category:Board of Visitors|Barrett, Kate Waller]][[Category:Ref|Barrett, Kate Waller]]

Latest revision as of 17:14, 9 September 2019

Kate Waller Barrett was a member of the College of William and Mary Board of Visitors in 1921-1925. She was the second woman to be a member of the Board of Visitors. She was a prominent figure in Virginia political and social circles and a number of buildings across Virginia were named in her honor. She was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. Barrett’s portrait, housed in the Muscarelle Museum, was painted by Eugenie Deland Sangstad from a photograph after Barrett’s death in 1925. Barrett Hall at the College of William and Mary was named for her. The iron gates from the Capitol Building in Richmond, erected in front of Jefferson Hall facing Jamestown Road and now functioning as a fence, were given by the D.A.R. as a memorial to Barrett and were dedicated on April 30, 1926.(The Flat Hat, p. 5The Flat Hat, p. 4)


Material in the Special Collections Research Center

  • Kate Waller Barrett Folder, University Archives Faculty Alumni File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, William & Mary.
  • University Archives Photograph Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, William & Mary.

References


Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.